About this report
The progress by objective report captures the status of the key objectives at all levels, including the blocked and in-progress items. Objectives are specific business and technical goals for the upcoming program increment (PI). The chart is especially useful for Portfolio Managers and Release Train Engineers to understand if teams are going to meet objectives and deliver the planned value for the specified PI. You can filter the chart by PI and program.
The report consists of three main sections:
- Objective statistics: View the total planned and delivered value and objectives, as well as a percentage of delivered value and objectives. The Total Value Planned and Total Objectives Planned fields are based only on objectives with a Type of Critical Path. Other fields use both objective types: Critical Path and Stretch Goals.
- Objective status by sprint: Objectives are the results towards which your efforts are directed. In this section, you can view program and team objectives across sprints. Point to any objective to view its details, such as its description, end date, owner, type, category, state, program (or team), and business value. Features for the objective appear in the tooltip as well if the target sprint is turned on for them on the Program Board. The Status Legend explains the objectives' coloring. You can check if the objective is blocked and learn the reason for its blocking. Clicking the objective opens its page, where you can edit it and save your changes.
- Objectives planned vs. actual: Here, you can compare the objectives you have planned with the actual ones. Objectives are grouped by level (Portfolio, Program, Solution, and Team) in expandable sections. Objectives within these sections can be further expanded to drill down and view epics, features, or dependencies associated with them. You can view the current status of the objective, the objective owner, sprint, team, as well as the planned and delivered value of the objective.
Additionally, at the top of the report, after a team of teams meeting is run for a program and/or portfolio, the Alignment Status option displays the discussed objectives, action items, program increment risks, story and team impediments, and a link to view dependencies added during the Team of Teams meeting. Keep an eye on the risks, impediments, and dependencies, as they may negatively affect the program or portfolio’s progress toward desired outcomes.
You can also view the program predictability report to gain a better understanding of groups’ abilities to deliver on objectives.
To navigate to this report:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Programs in the top navigation bar and select the program you want to view information about.
- On the sidebar, select Reports in the list of options.
- Select Progress by objective; the report displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select the Reports icon from the left Nav menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- PI must exist in the system and be tied to a program.
- Objectives must be created and tied to a PI and Program.
- Sprints must be created and tied to a PI.
How are report values calculated?
- Total Value Planned: Sum of planned value of critical path objectives assigned to the PI.
- Total Value Delivered: Sum of delivered value of critical path and stretch goal objectives assigned to the PI.
- Percent of Value Delivered: ((Total Value Delivered) / (Total Value Planned)) * 100
- Total Objectives Planned: Count of critical path objectives assigned to the PI.
- Total Objectives Delivered: Count of critical path and stretch goal objectives marked Done and assigned to the PI.
- Percent of Objectives Delivered: ((Total Objectives Delivered) / (Total Objectives Planned)) * 100
- Program Increment/Program Based/Team Based Objectives graphs: Planned value remaining vs. ideal burn for PI, program, and team objectives:
- Planned Value Remaining: (Sum of planned value from all critical path objectives assigned to the PI) - (Sum of planned value from critical path and stretch goal objectives marked Done and assigned to the PI)
- Ideal Burn: Ideal trend of burning objective’s planned values. The rate is calculated as (Sum of value points of objectives assigned to the PI) / (Number of days in the PI)
Objective data used in all other sections of the report are pulled directly from values entered via the objectives page/panel.
How to interpret this report
Objectives help everyone agree upon what will be delivered in a PI. Make sure your teams are executing against the objectives listed in this report to create alignment and deliver value. It is beneficial to review this report mid- and post-PI to assess the objectives at all levels to see what value is being planned and delivered, and then use the results to continuously improve the process. If objectives are being planned but not delivered, that means your teams are not on a common mission, working towards the same vision.