When scaling Agile up to large groups, many Agile teams work concurrently, each conducting a daily standup meeting. To help these teams coordinate between themselves, they designate one member as ambassador to participate in a meeting with ambassadors from other teams, called the team of teams meeting.
The primary purpose of the meeting is to focus on and resolve objectives, action items, and impediments that are blocking the teams from completing their work.
The team of teams meetings are automatically created by the system based on the cadence of the sprint; they are available daily. To conduct a team of teams meeting, follow these steps:
- From the main Navigation menu select Team > Team > Team Meetings, or Program > Program > Program Meetings, or Portfolio > Portfolio > Portfolio Meetings; the Meetings page displays.
- From the Meeting Types drop-down list at the top of the page, select Team of Teams.
- Scroll down the list of available meetings and find the meeting for your team/group. Click the corresponding Start Meeting button on the right on the page.
- A window displaying a summary of the PI impediments and risks displays before the meeting starts. Click the Start Meeting button on this summary window; the Team of Teams page displays.
- Click the Configuration button on the top-right of the page; the Manage Board window displays. You will use this window to create a board/grid that has sprints on the horizontal axis and teams on the vertical axis.
- On the Manage Board window, select a Program from the Program drop-down menu.
- Next, select the teams you want to focus on via the Teams drop-down menu.
- Select the sprints you want to focus on via the Sprints drop-down menu.
- Click the Save button and close the Manage Board window; the configured board/grid displays in the workspace.
- Hover over the top-left corner of any cell in the grid to reveal a + icon; click the + icon to open the Objectives grid. You can select objectives and add them to the cell, in the form of a card, by clicking the Add Selected to Board button on the top-right of the page. You can also create new objectives on the fly by clicking the Add Objective button.
- Fill the board with objectives, as needed, for team/sprint combinations. The goal is to discuss each objective, and make sure it can be met to keep the teams on track. On each card, there are icons to Add Notes, Edit Objective, Toggle Blocked Status, Toggle Risk Status, and Toggle Complete Status. You can also drag and drop cards to different cells on the board. Please note that changing the status or any parameter of objective cards DOES NOT make the change to the actual work item object in the database--the changes are for visual and discussion purposes only.
- Along the top of the page, notice the legend that explains the color coding of the cards. There are also toggles to Show Themes on the vertical axis and to minimize Card Size.
- On the right side of the page is a list of action items, team impediments, story impediments, and PI risks for discussion. Click the + icon next to each item type to add a new item on the fly.
- Next to the name of each sprint in the grid column headings is a yellow asterisk icon; click this icon to view a list of dependencies tied the sprint.
- When the meeting is concluded, click the End Meeting button on the top-right of the page.