To access the Jira Management Settings page:
- If you’re using the new navigation, select the Settings gear in the top navigation bar. If you’re using the old navigation, select Administration in the left Nav menu.
- On the left side of the page, select Jira Management in the Connectors section.
Three tabs display on this page:
To map a Jira board to a Jira Align team, follow these steps:
- Before mapping a Jira board, make sure that its parent project is associated with a Jira Align program on the the Jira Settings page.
- Next, access the Jira Management page. If you’re using the new navigation, select the Settings gear in the top navigation bar. If you’re using the old navigation, select Administration in the left Nav menu. Then, select Jira Management in the Connectors section.
- Click the Jira Boards tab.
- At the top-right of the page, Click Add Board to create a new row of cells in the grid.
- Input a board ID number in the ID cell, which represents the rapid view ID from Jira.
- The board name from Jira will automatically populate in the Board name field once Jira Align verifies connectivity to the board.
- The Jira Sprints column cannot be edited and will populate when the board syncs. The column displays the total number of sprints associated with the board.
Note: If the connector cannot access sprints in Jira, the count of these deleted or inaccessible sprints will display in red, next to the total sprint count.
You can click these sprint counts to view details about them and resolve any issues on the Jira Sprints tab.
- In the Jira Align Program cell, select the board’s associated program. This should match the program that the board’s project is mapped to on the Jira Integration Settings page.
- In the Jira Align Team field, type an existing Agile team name to map the board to an existing team in Jira Align; or, type a new team name to have the connector create the team for you as an Agile team.
- In the Jira Sprints to Sync drop-down menu, select if you wish to sync only sprints created on the board or sprints created and shared to the board with the integration.**
- Click Save at the top-right of the page to save your changes.
*We recommend only syncing sprints created on the board to ensure sprints are aligned correctly from Jira Software to Jira Align. Jira Align uses placeholder sync sprints to assign start and end dates to Jira future sprints. Errant sprints shared across multiple boards will prevent the connector from making this prediction properly.
If issues occur, a yellow warning icon will appear next to the ID. Point to the icon to see the issues and actions needed to resolve them.
Note: The table can be filtered by one or more values in the Jira Board, Jira Align Program, and/or Jira Align Team field. You can also filter the table by whether or not issues occurred during the sync. To filter the table:
- Click the column name.
- In the list of items, select the checkbox next to one or more options to narrow the filter. You can also search for a specific item by typing its name in the text field.
- The filter criteria appear above the list of items, and the table filters to display items that meet the filter criteria.
To remove a filter:
- Select the column that contains the filter you want to remove.
- At the top of the list of items, select the option or options to remove from the filter criteria.
Select Clear Selected Items to remove the filter criteria.
To stop integrating a Jira board with Jira Align:
- Select the three dots (...) icon on the far right of its row to see more options.
- Select Delete Board to remove the board integration.
Use the Jira Sprints tab to manage sprints that have been mapped between Jira and Jira Align. Click the Jira Sprints tab, and then ensure that you select the right Jira connector and boards at the top of the Jira Management page.
Jira Fit View report
In Jira Software, sprints might not go one right after another. The Jira Sprint Fit View report is used to see the sequence of sprints in Jira. It is a calendar view that provides a better outline of how Jira sprints look within a program.
The teams within the selected program are listed on the left side. For each sprint, a bar appears that represents the start date and end date of the sprint overlaid on the calendar. Move the pointer over the bar to see how many points are accepted within the sprint.
To view the report:
- Open the Jira Sprints tab.
- Click the Fit View button.
- Select a PI and a program from the drop-down menus. You can select multiple PIs and programs here.
- Click Run Report.
- To navigate the report:
- To zoom in or zoom out, click the plus or minus sign.
- To scroll horizontally, click the right or left arrow.
Auto-Sync Jira Align sprints
You can automatically map Jira Software sprints to Jira Align sprints if they have similar sprint start and end date. Under Jira Setup > Sprint Buffer Days, you can adjust the number of days that can deviate for a sprint. We recommend setting this value between 1 and 3 days in case a team forgets to complete a Jira sprint on time. The default value is three days prior or post the Sync Date end.
To auto-sync Jira Align sprints:
- Open the Jira Sprints tab.
- From the Boards drop-down menu above the grid, select the board with the sprints you want to auto-synchronize.
- Click the Auto-Sync Jira Align Sprint button.
- Click Yes in the confirmation dialog box.
Resync future sprints
You can resynchronize the future sprints so that all your changes in Jira Software and/or Jira Align will reconstruct the dates and Jira Align sprint mapping. In order for the future sprints to have new dates calculated and remapped to an Jira Align sprint, all anchor dates and Jira Align sprints need to be set up.
After the future sprint data is cleared, this schedules the Jira board to synchronize during the next custom timer. If the board is already scheduled to synchronize or is currently synchronizing, the Resync Future Sprints button does not appear.
To resync future sprints:
- Open the Jira Sprints tab.
- From the Boards drop-down menu above the grid, select the board with the future sprints you want to resynchronize.
- Click the Resync Future Sprints button.
- To synchronize future sprints for the other boards if needed, repeat Steps 2–3.
Sync Jira sprints on demand
You can synchronize sprints of a Jira board on demand and not wait until it is time for all boards to be synchronized automatically. The sprints are synchronized one way from Jira to Jira Align. Make sure the Create Sprints in Jira Align from Jira option is set to Yes on the Jira Setup tab.
To sync Jira sprints on demand:
- Open the Jira Sprints tab.
- From the Boards drop-down menu above the grid, select the board with the sprints you want to synchronize on demand.
- Click the Sync Board Now button.
- To synchronize sprints for the other boards if needed, repeat Steps 2–3.
Jira Sprint: Sprint ID that comes directly from Jira Software.
Status: The sprint status that comes directly from Jira Software which can be closed, active, or future.
Dates: These dates will come directly from Jira Software for closed and active sprints. Jira Software does not provide the start and end dates for future sprints. Jira Align predicts future sprint dates as they come over from Jira Software by using the active Jira Software sprint as a baseline and setting the start and end dates of future sprints to the subsequent program increment sync sprint date period.
Recommended Jira Align Sprint: This is the Jira Align sprint the connector recommends aligning to the corresponding Jira Software sprint based on the start and end date from Jira Software and the Jira Align program increment sync sprints.
Jira Align Sprint: This is the actual Jira Align sprint issues associated to the Jira Software sprint will be assigned to. Selecting a new sprint and clicking Save at the top of the page will override the integrated sprint with the selected sprint.
If any mapping issues occur, a yellow warning icon will appear next to the Jira Sprint column. Hover over to the icon to see the issues and actions needed to resolve them.
To stop integrating a Jira sprint with Jira Align:
- Select the three-dot icon on the far right of its row to see more options.
- Select Ignore sprint from mappings to remove the sprint integration. The sprint will remain in the list, but the Jira Align Sprint will display as Jira sprint removed from team sprint sync.
- If you need to reinstate the sprint integration, select the three-dot icon again and then select Reinstate Jira Sprint.
- To permanently delete a sprint that has been deleted in Jira, select the three-dot icon and then select Permanently delete sprint. Only sprints that have been deleted in Jira can be permanently deleted from the sprint list.
You can generate the Jira Deleted Issues report to view all Jira Align items that are linked to a Jira Software issue that was permanently deleted by a user in Jira Software. Issues that had their parent project's permissions changed so that the Jira Software Connector Service Account no longer has permissions to view the issue will also show on the report. The report will display the Jira Software Key, the type of Jira Align work item (as an icon) and its ID, and the work item’s name in Jira Align. Accepted stories and features, as well as closed defects are not included in the report.
Note: The Jira Deleted Issue Report transmits a large amount of API Calls between Jira Align and your Jira Software environment. It is highly recommended to run this report once a week, and schedule the run during non-working hours to prevent any interruptions to the regular sync of data.
To manage Jira deleted issues:
- Open the Jira Deleted Issues tab.
- Select a date and time to run the check. To run the report as soon as possible, enter the current date and next upcoming hour. For example, if it is 3:30PM, schedule the report to run at 4PM. The hour you choose to run the report will be in the Time Zone selected in your personal preferences.
- Click the Check for deleted Issues button.
- After the report query has been completed, set Hierarchy and PI Filters in the context menu or locally on the page to parse data. Selections made on the page will override the Configuration bar once the Filter button is selected.
- Click the Error Types Field and Filter on Only 'Issue does not exist'
- View the report:
- Click the link under the Jira Key column to view the item in Jira. It may still exist but have a new name.
- Click the link under the ID column to view the item in Jira Align.
- Toggle-on the sliders to the right of each item you want to delete, remove the Jira Software key from, or ignore.
- On the toolbar, select one of the following options:
- Delete. Remove all selected items from Jira Align.
- Remove Jira Key. Delete the Jira Software keys associated with the selected Jira Align work items. This will keep the Jira Align items and disconnect the Jira Software issue from them.
- Ignore. Remove all selected Jira Align work items from this report. This will keep the item in Jira Align and leave the Jira Software keys connected to the item. Ignored items may appear again in a future report if the items are still not found in the future.
- Alternatively, select one of the Delete All, Ignore All, or Remove Jira Key All options to affect all items returned by the report. Note that these options will delete, ignore, or remove the Jira key from all items found by the report, including those not visible on the current page of results.
- The Jira Deleted Issue Report displays issues for which Jira Align can no longer access via the API, indicating the permissions on the Parent Project changed or an issue was deleted in Jira Software (displayed with a red warning icon). If issues were previously synced to Jira Align and then then the Jira project was removed from the integration, the issues will not display on the report since. It is recommended that once a Jira Project is removed from the integration, permissions are updated so the appropriate issues show on the report. The report also displays API parsing errors via a yellow icon; the parsing errors should be ignored or filtered out using the Error Types, as the issues still exist in Jira Software.
- Scheduling the report to run, as well as deleting, removing the Jira Software key from, or ignoring items requires that the Read-only Mode system role permission toggle under Jira Deleted Issues is switched off. However, users may still view the report if the Jira Deleted Issues system role permission toggle is switched on. You may edit system role permissions on the Roles settings page.