The Work Tree is a set of five comprehensive reports that include Strategy, Top-Down View from Epic, Bottom-Up View from Story, Team, and Theme Group views. You can change the view by selecting the Tree View dropdown at the top of the page.
- Strategy View shows your work hierarchy organized by strategy and the overall progress of work toward those strategies across all programs. This default view shows all strategies in the system, and builds the hierarchy downward from strategy to theme, then downward through epics, capabilities, features, and stories. The list of epics displayed are directly assigned to the PI, and must be assigned to a theme that is a child of the strategy. The epic, capability, and feature progress bars are calculated based on the number of epics, capabilities, and features that were accepted for a theme.
- Note: To see the Strategy view, the Show Strategy View permission should be enabled under Administration > Roles.
- Top-Down View from Epic shows all epics that are directly assigned to the PI, and builds the hierarchy downwards through capabilities, features, and stories, regardless of whether or not the child items are in the selected PI. This means that if a story does not directly belong to a given PI but has a parent epic that belongs to a given PI, it will be included in overall calculations.
- Bottom-Up View from Story finds all stories directly assigned to the PI, and builds the hierarchy upwards to the epic level, regardless of whether or not the parent work items are assigned to the PI.
- Team View is identical to the Bottom-Up View from Story view, with the addition of a team(s) filter. Select the teams you want to view from the Configuration bar (Portfolio/Program/Team) at the top of the page. With this view, you can see the work your team or teams do without viewing all work from all other teams.
- Theme Group View shows your work hierarchy organized by theme groups, user-defined buckets/categories for grouping themes. Under the theme groups, the hierarchy starts with themes, then builds downward through epics, capabilities, features, and stories.
To narrow your Work Tree report results, switch on the Narrow to Program and Program Increment toggle in the upper-right corner:
- The toggle is available when using the Top-Down, Team, and Theme Group views.
- When the toggle is switched on, only those child items that belong to the selected PI and program are shown.
- When the toggle is switched off, then all child items regardless of the selected PI and program are shown. Items that belong to a different configuration are shown with a respective mark to signalize that the item doesn’t belong to the selected configuration.
Work Tree (Top Down View from Epic)
Work Tree (Bottoms Up View from Story)
Join the Atlassian Community!
The Atlassian Community is a unique, highly collaborative space where customers and Atlassians come together. Ask questions and get answers, start discussions, and collaborate with thousands of other Jira Align customers. Visit the Jira Align Community Collection today.
Need to contact Jira Align Support? Please open a support request.