The default system name “program increment (PI)” is a release of software to the end users. However, many organizations separate the idea of a planning cycle and a release cycle, with actual releases happening frequently or even on demand, and planning happening on a less frequent, standard cadence. Jira Align program increments should be considered as the planning cycle.
Create program increments on the program increments page:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Programs in the top navigation bar and select the program you want to create a PI for.
- On the sidebar, select More items in the list of options.
- Select Program increments; the program increments page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Program from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Program Increments; the program increments page displays.
To create a program increment:
- On the program increments page, select the Add Program Increment button on the toolbar (top-right of the page).
- Type the PI’s number, name, short name, and description, select the start and finish dates, the portfolio to which the PI belongs, and the PI’s status, and then click Save.
- The PI number is typically the version number. For example, "16.M3.C" might stand for 2016 - 3rd Major release - Compliance project.
- The PI name is a descriptive name that will appear on several program and enterprise reports.
- The PI short name is prepended to the sprint name when created.
- On the Programs, Products, and Regions tab, select the necessary programs, products, and regions for this PI. All Programs will appear here that have the same Capabilities enabled setting as the Portfolio selected on the General tab. If the Portfolio selected has Capabilities enabled only Programs that are associated to Portfolios with Capabilities enabled will show in the list. If the Portfolio selected does not have Capabilities enabled only Programs that are associated to Portfolios without Capabilities enabled will show in the list. If there are no necessary products and regions, you can click the green plus sign to create them.
- On the Project/Alignment Scoring tab, select the values to rank your PI.
Note: You can use scorecards to score and rank your PIs in a consistent way. The Jira Align default scorecard appears here. You cannot assign a custom scorecard to the PI; it will always be the default one. The maximum PI score is 100. Any unanswered questions are scored as zero.
- Click Save & Close.