A value stream consists of steps that are used to provide a continuous flow of value through the agile process. Value streams represent your own process steps based on your value measures.
The Value Stream menu only appears if it is turned on by your administrator.
To create a value stream:
- Select Solution from the left menu bar.
- Under the Manage section, select Value Streams; the Value Stream page displays.
- On the toolbar (top-right of the page), click the Add Value Stream button.
- Type the value stream's name.
- From the Level drop-down menu, select the theme, epic, capability, feature, or story level.
- Select the value stream type you want to create:
- Developmental. Shows the steps used to develop new products, systems, or services capabilities.
- Operational. Shows the steps used to provide goods or services to a customer, be they internal or external.
- In the Team Description box, type the solution team’s description. The Solution Team is created at the same time the value stream is created.
- Select a region.
- From the Team Owner drop-down menu, select the solution team’s owner.
- Select one or multiple programs with which the value stream is associated. Adding a program to a value stream will show a new list of process steps under epics, capabilities, etc. New process steps may not match the previously saved process steps. At the same time, if you remove a program, all epics, capabilities, etc. associated with it will no longer contain process steps defined for this program.
- For the Active option, select whether this is an active working value stream that is available for use.
- For the Map to State option, turn it on if you want to map the process steps to the item states. Turning off this setting removes the step association with states.
- Type a new step for the value stream, select the state which you want to map the process step to, and then click Add.
- Under Assign process steps to states, select the states for the existing process steps from the corresponding drop-down menus. All process steps must be mapped to states. You can assign multiple states to the same step.
- Click Save.
- Click Save. Next, you need to add process steps to your value stream. You can add process steps to your value stream to completely customize the workflow for themes, epics, capabilities, features, and stories.
- Open the Process Steps tab that appears.
- In the Quick Add Process Step box, type the steps for the value stream, select the state if applicable, and then click Add. For details on how to manage process steps, see the Process step options section below.
- Open the Members tab.
- Under Team Members, select the necessary team members to add to your team. Under Team Roles, select the role of each team member on the team.
- Click Save & Close.
Note: If you have any Jira projects set up, you can click View Jira Mappings to view different state mappings from Jira and Jira Align. This helps in validating the states. The mappings are set under Administration > Connectors > Jira Settings > Manage Projects > Manage Custom Fields.
Process step options
- For epics and capabilities, select a functional area mapping from the drop-down menu to enable a status roll up of functional features to value stream steps.
- To estimate the process step time, type the number of hours in the box.
- To edit the process step details, click the pencil icon. Here, you can add exit criteria. They are used to define an epic intake process with exit criteria to drive governance through the project, to create a policy for when to complete specific fields in the work item (epic), or if your team has specific requirements that it needs to meet before moving a card to another place. Type the criteria name, and then click the plus sign to add the criteria. Be attentive as you cannot edit exit criteria. These criteria appear in the Kanban > Process Step View of the backlog.
- To switch off the email notifications about the changes to this process step, click the envelope icon.
- To delete a step, click the trash icon.
- To open the responsibility assignment matrix, click the grid icon.
- To move the steps, drag the rows. You cannot move steps between different process steps.