This article describes the new objectives tree experience. For legacy experience information, click here.
The Objectives Tree provides a representation of the parent and child hierarchy between related objectives and strategic goals. Use this report to understand the relationship between strategic goals and objectives you’ve set at different levels of your organization, and ensure that child objectives and goals are written in such a way that they inform the next level above.
To view this report:
- Select Enterprise from the left Nav menu.
- Under Enterprise, select Objectives Tree.
- Select the Search icon from the left Nav menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search bar.
- Once found, select the report.
- On the Objectives page, select the Objectives Tree button from the upper-right corner.
Use and configure the report
The Objectives Tree contains several key areas:
- Page filters: Filter the list of objectives and strategic goals by tier, team, and more. Or, use the search bar to search by name or ID.
- Quick filters: Filter the list of objectives according to their status: on-track, at risk, off track, and completed. You can select and deselect more than one quick filter at once; to remove an applied quick filter, select the filter again. Quick filters aren’t available for strategic goals.
- Columns shown: Show or hide columns on the objectives tree view.
- Export: Export objectives and key results as CSV files to use outside of Jira Align or share them with stakeholders. (Child items and their key results are not included in the export.)
- Objective summary and expand: Select the expand arrow next to an objective’s or strategic goal’s ID and summary to view its children.
Note: For portfolio objectives, both solution and program objectives will display together as child objectives (if capabilities are enabled for the portfolio).
- Additional table columns: Additional information about your objectives and strategic goals. Select a column header to sort by that column.
- Actions: View a family tree-style hierarchy view of parent and child objectives.
In addition to your Configuration bar selections, narrow your view using the page filters. The following filters display on the Objective Tree by default:
- Objective tier: View the objective and strategic goal hierarchy, beginning at the selected tier level.
- Teams: The portfolio, solution, program or agile or kanban team that will work on the objective. This column will be blank for strategic goals.
- Program increments: The program increment that the objective is scheduled to be completed in. This column will be blank for strategic goals.
- Search bar: Search for a specific item by summary or ID.
- Statuses: The objective’s overall status.
- Owners: The users ultimately responsible for the objective or strategic goal.
- Only my objectives/goals: View the objectives and strategic goals you own.
Note: Configuration bar selections don’t apply to the Objectives Tree when a strategic goal is selected as the starting tier. This is because strategic goals do not have an associated portfolio, solution, program, or agile team.
These columns provide more information about your objective or strategic goal at a glance. Select a column name to sort the list (columns that highlight when hovered over can be sorted):
- Status: The status displayed on this report is determined by the Status field on the objective. The score displayed is the objective’s score. The score won’t display on objectives that haven’t had their scores overridden, don’t have key results, or don’t have progress recorded on any key results, since they haven’t been scored yet.
- Work progress: This progress bar reflects the number of accepted aligned work items on the objective, compared to all of the directly aligned work items. Child work items of your directly aligned work are not included in the progress calculations. Point to the bar to see the percentage and count of completed work items. This column will be blank for strategic goals.
- Key results progress: This progress bar is a roll-up of all key result progress for key results directly associated with the objective or strategic goal.
- Key results: The number of key results created. Select the key result count to view information about each key result.
- Program increment: The program increment that the objective is scheduled to be completed in. This column will be blank for strategic goals.
- Owner: The user ultimately responsible for the objective or strategic goal. Point to a user icon to view their name.
- Team: The portfolio, solution, program, or agile or kanban team who will take responsibility for the objective. This column will be blank for strategic goals.
- Target completion: The estimated completion date for the objective or strategic goal, set during the planning/estimation process.
In the Actions column, select the Actions icon on an objective or strategic goal to display its hierarchy view. The hierarchy of parent and child items is displayed as cards in a family tree. Initially, the parent hierarchy of the selected item is displayed. To view additional levels, select the green arrowicons.
On each card, you can view the objective score, summary, owner’s avatar, number of aligned (child) items, and number of key results. Objectives that have no key results or have no progress recorded on key results will display a score of N/S (not scored). Progress against objective key results is represented with a progress bar at the top of each card.
Select any item's name to open its Details slide-out panel.