Topics in this article:
Manage Trello connector settings In your Jira Align instance by navigating to Administration > Connectors > Trello Settings.
On the Connector Setup tab, you can set up and manage connector information. The settings apply across all boards synced by the connector:
- In the Active dropdown, select if the connector is active. Selecting No will pause updates to and from Jira Align.
- The Trello Item Link field is a read-only field that displays the URL used to denote the backs of cards on your Trello board. You can find this URL by clicking any card on a board in Trello. For example, if you click into a card and the URL is https://trello.com/c/m1v2xyh8/569-19179-sample-card, your Trello item link is https://trello.com/c/.
- For the connector to sync data to and from Trello, you’ll need to set up a token-based authentication to allow Jira Align access to the Trello API. Once a Trello user has granted an application access to their Trello account and data, the application is given a token that can be used to make requests to the Trello API on behalf of the user. To avoid deactivated tokens and sync issues, we recommend setting up a generic admin account that has access to all boards that need to be synced for this purpose. To set up authentication:
i. In the Trello API URL box, enter the API URL for the Trello environment.
ii. Log into Trello on the account you’d like to serve as the service user.
iii. In Jira Align, click the App Key / Token link to open to a Trello page that contains your API Key. Copy this key and paste it into the Key field in Jira Align.
Note: Press Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) as you click the App Key / Token link to open the Trello page in a new tab.
iv. On the Trello page, click the Token link, then click Allow to generate an API token. Copy this token and paste it into the Token field in Jira Align.
- In the Timer on Boards field, enter the interval, in minutes, that the connector should run to send and receive updates to and from Trello.
- In the Default system role for new users dropdown menu, select the system role you’d like to assign users who are added to Jira Align through the connector.
- In the Default team role for new users dropdown menu, select the team role you’d like to assign users who are added to Jira Align through the connector.
- Going forward, any new data added to your Trello board will sync with Jira Align. To sync existing cards on your Trello boards, enter a date into the Initial Data Load Start Date field. Cards created after this date will be included in the initial connector sync.
- Click the Run button to begin importing existing card data, where applicable.
- Click Save to save your changes.
On the Manage Boards tab, you can set up and configure settings for individual boards. Create a new board mapping in the row directly above the table area.
To set up a board with the connector:
- Enter the Trello board’s Board Key in the corresponding field. In Trello, this key is the eight-character section of your board URL. For example, a board with the URL https://trello.com/b/AbCDefgH has the board key AbCDefgH.
- In the Board Name column, enter a name to identify the Trello board. We recommend using the same name as the Trello board.
- In the Program column, select a Jira Align program to associate the work items created on the Jira Align kanban board with. The work items on the Kanban board will automatically receive this program association in the Program field.
- In the Trello Power-Up Type column, select if you’d like to sync the board using the Jira Align power-up or the Custom Fields power-up.
- In the Type of work column, select if the team is focused on development work or supporting work. This affects the default Type field value on the Jira Align work items created by the connector:
- Development work should be selected if your team is focused on development or QA. When cards are synced with work items for the first time, they will be created as features, stories, and tasks that have no type, User, and Development types, respectively.
- Supporting work should be selected if your team isn’t development or QA, but still contributes to the delivery stream. When cards are synced with work items for the first time, they will be created as features, stories, and tasks with Supporting types. Supporting tasks aren’t included in many team-level reports.
Note: Changing a team’s type of work after the connector has synced work items does not affect the Type field on work items that were created before the change was made.
- Click Add New.
- Once a connector has been added, it appears in the table area. The Status column displays the connector status for the board: active or inactive.
- Click the three-dot icon in the Actions column to perform additional actions for the connector. You can configure state mappings, view the Kanban board in Jira Align, activate or deactivate syncing for the board, or delete the Trello board mapping from the connector sync processes.
Click the Kanban Board ID in the first column to open a slide-out panel where you can map board columns:
- The Trello (Column) Lists column is automatically populated with your Trello board’s lists. In the Sync States column, a checkbox displays for each list. Select the checkboxes to include syncing states in the connector sync. Leaving a list unchecked will not render a corresponding column on the Jira Align kanban board, and cards moved to the unsynced list in Trello will remain in their previous column in Jira Align until they’re moved to another synced list. Cards created in the unsynced list in Trello also won’t appear in Jira Align until they’re moved to a synced list.
- In the Jira Align Columns, select the Kanban board column you’d like to correspond with the Trello list.
- Click Save to save the column mapping.
If you haven’t used a Jira Align Kanban board column before, you may need to set up states for work items that are placed in the column. Otherwise, the column will be mapped to the Not Started work item state by default. Select Advanced settings to associate work item states with the column:
- In the Kanban board column dropdown menu, select the Jira Align column to set up state mapping for.
- Use the Features, Stories, and Defects dropdown menus to assign a state to assign the features, stories, and defects that are moved into the column, respectively.
- Click Save to save the state mapping.