The Atlassian Jira Align team is pleased to announce Jira Align v.10.126.
Enhancements and features
These features for 10.126 were released to environments on the continuous release track on October 27, 2023, in version 10.126.0. The features will then be released to environments on the bundled release track on November 10, 2023, in version 10.126.2:
Introducing the capacity feature
We are excited to introduce the capacity feature in Jira Align, which replaces the plan capacity modal on the forecast page. The new feature helps you build a detailed capacity plan for every program increment using either a points or member weeks estimation system. You can now visualize capacity in a whole new way and enjoy a spreadsheet-like editing experience that makes planning flexible, efficient, and accurate. All you need to do is input basic information, and Jira Align will calculate the capacity for each team and aggregate data to the program, solution, and portfolio levels.
Tailored to your estimation system
In the past, capacity planning only supported the weeks-based system and calculated capacity based on team allocations. This posed a significant challenge for many of you who had to resort to creating complex spreadsheets and manually adjusting velocity data.
Now, you can build a capacity plan using either the points or member weeks estimation system, depending on what you have selected in your portfolio settings. If you use the team weeks or t-shirt system, it will default to the member week system and convert data for you.
Actionable insights at a glance
With our innovative plan summary, you can now instantly determine if you have enough available capacity to commit to forecasted work for the program increment. To keep it all connected, this data is displayed on the forecast page at the program and team levels. The plan summary displays all the aggregated data and even provides a glimpse into data from the previous plan.
Flexible and customizable with filters
We know a lot of different team members may need to contribute to the capacity plan. So we made it possible to access the page from a portfolio, solution, or program context, and if needed, filter down to the programs that are relevant to your specific role and situation.
Spreadsheet-like editing experience
The plan details table allows you to make edits efficiently with bulk actions and helpful data options, while also giving you flexibility and control with single-cell edits, custom values, and informative tooltips.
For example, as a leader overseeing multiple programs, you can quickly update all programs at once by applying one of the available data options. To avoid potential conflicts, you might check the audit log or review past activity with tooltips specifying the author and timestamp before you confirm the update. You can then continue editing teams individually, applying data options, or entering custom values as needed.
Available data options include:
- Values from the previous plan. For example, you can repeat the capacity percentage for each team in a few clicks, even if they all have different values.
- Defaults established by leaders. For example, you can set a default of “10 members per team” or “20 points per sprint.”
- Data sourced from Jira Align. For example, you may want to simplify things by using the same number of team members set in the team’s allocations.
- Capacity plans lock and become view-only 30 days after the end of the PI. This allows you to review previous plans and gain insights, without accidentally making any changes.
- We've removed the ability to name and create multiple buffers per team, and replaced this with a simplified experience in the spreadsheet. Use the Buffer column to represent the total buffer needed for the team in member weeks or points.
- We also removed the ability to create specialists, as this new feature is focused on determining available capacity for a team instead of individuals.
Seamless transition to the new experience
We’re so excited for you to enjoy this new feature that we’ve brought over your data from previous program increments (PI), so you can easily reference it.
▾ Data transfer details (select to expand)
We’re bringing over some fields from the old experience on the forecast page.
- Planned FTE will be converted to Members and is taken from team allocations.
- Override weeks will be Weeks, and indicate the number of weeks from anchor sprints set in the PI.
- Total buffer will be renamed as Buffer (member weeks) and retain its original value.
- Capacity percentage will be set to 100%.
- Program available capacity continues to be calculated as the sum of all team-level available capacities.
We’re applying your team data while respecting your override choices, if applicable.
If you did not override a program’s PI velocity on the forecast, backlog, or program room pages:
- Each team’s average velocity will be converted to Points per sprint.
- Sprints will indicate the number of anchor sprints set in the PI.
- Buffer (points) will be set to 0 points.
- Capacity percentage will be set 100%.
If you did override a program’s PI velocity:
The Velocity override will be represented by the following formula: Points per sprint multiplied by Sprints for the team listed in the top row of each affected program.
- Note: The Points per sprint cell is limited to three digits and two decimal points. If the number needed to calculate a velocity override exceeds this, the value displayed in the cell will be 999.99, and will be multiplied by that team’s Sprints cell.
- Sprints, Buffer (points), and Capacity percentage are the same as above.
Related updates to the forecast page
- You can now access the forecast page from the main sidebar, right above the new capacity page. We believe forecasting should have better visibility in Jira Align.
- Points-based system users: bid farewell to the Manage velocity button. We removed the option to override a program PI velocity because the capacity page now provides a more accurate calculation.
- Weeks-based system users: say goodbye to the Plan capacity button—because now you have a dedicated page for capacity that is more intuitive, accessible, and accurate.
- Regardless of which estimation system you use, we are providing tooltips on the forecast page to help you quickly understand data coming from the capacity page.
Stay tuned for what’s coming soon
- In future releases, you will see data from our innovative bar graph in more locations within Jira Align, including the program room, portfolio room, and backlog.
- This will replace the program PI velocity calculation and overrides in the forecast page and the Team Load card from the program room.
Get started today
The capacity page is becoming the source of truth for estimation activities, so we recommend you get started today! Check out our video demos and comprehensive three-part guide:
New navigation improvements
Several reports were available directly from the dependency and objectives grid pages. When accessed from the global version of the pages, these reports opened without the new sidebar navigation menu, so they could not be filtered by a team. Now, these reports are only available from the Reports section of the sidebar menu.
- Story link report
- Orphan report
- Objectives tree
- Progress by objective
- Action items report
Finally, view objectives in the backlog!
Prioritizing work just got easier with the introduction of objectives in the backlog. To view them, select Objectives in the Columns Shown menu in the backlog. Quickly see more details by selecting an objective to open its details panel.
By viewing objectives in the backlog, you can ensure your work is prioritized and contributing directly to strategy.
OKR hub is now more accessible!
We’ve added keyboard navigation to the OKR hub, making the page even more accessible.
- Use Tab to navigate through the table headers
- Pressing Space on a header will start reordering mode
- Arrow keys left and right move the column
- Pressing Space again ends reordering
- Pressing Enter on a header will sort the column if it is sortable
- Use Tab and then arrow keys to navigate through a dropdown
- Enter to select an option in a dropdown
Open the objective details panel:
- Tab through the OKR hub table and open details panels for objectives and goals by pressing Enter
Enable the sync of additional Jira Align feature fields
To reduce the effort of manually copying data from Jira Align features to Jira epics, the Jira Connector now supports the sync of additional fields, including:
- Single-select dropdown custom fields
- Text input custom fields
The Target completion date field has also been moved from the Jira Setup tab to the new Field management tab, as well as the Jira Software field it was mapped to.
This feature is available in a new Field management tab on the Jira Settings page, that all users with permission to view the Jira Settings page can access. The new design provides a dropdown list on the left-hand side with the newly available Jira Align feature fields (as well as an existing field, Target completion date) that can be synced to Jira Software. Once a Jira Align field is selected, a dropdown list on the right-hand side will display a list of available Jira Software custom fields.
For dropdown field types (i.e. Type, Priority, and single-select dropdown custom fields), the field values will need to be mapped in order for the records to successfully synchronize the data across the two tools. This can be done by selecting Map field values from the menu on the mapped field row and filling out the Jira Align and corresponding Jira Software field values.
ADO Connector custom text area field sync
Building off of a previous release, the Azure DevOps (ADO) connector now supports the sync of Jira Align text area-type custom fields for features and stories. This data can be synced bidirectionally or from ADO to Jira Align only, depending on the sync direction configured for a corresponding work item type.
This feature is aimed to enable the sync of critical data between Jira Align and ADO. Also, it will improve the experience by syncing some required ADO fields that couldn’t have been synced earlier and, potentially, unblock the ability to use bidirectional sync.
Existing system fields configured in details panels settings will display on the ADO connector slide-out in the corresponding work item sections.
To make data sync, you’ll need to enter the exact name of the needed ADO field in the mapping text box. The system doesn’t force users to map any specific ADO field type.
The ADO connector will now support the sync of rich-text fields (RTF) data, and feature and story slide-outs will now support RTF data for text area custom fields.
If a Jira Align custom field is not set as Active for any of the portfolios whose child programs are mapped in your connector, a warning icon will be shown next to this field mapping on the connector slide-out panel. Make sure that the custom field is activated for the needed portfolios. This will allow you to see the field on details panels of individual work items and have the data synced by the connector.
Changes to status reports
To support the changes provided by Jira Align’s new navigation, we’ve made the following updates to the status reports page:
- The status reports landing page that displayed in old navigation has been removed from new navigation. Now, a status report will immediately load, based on the context you selected from the top navigation bar: portfolio, solution, or program. You can access the status reports from any of these contexts. We’ve also removed some versions of status reports that are not compatible with new navigation:
- The Organization Structure, Release Vehicle, and My Reports versions of status reports has been removed
- The Theme version can be accessed by navigating to the status reports page from a portfolio, solution, or program context, and selecting a theme filter from the Extra Configs menu.
- The Program Increment version can be accessed by navigating to the status reports page from a portfolio, solution, or program context, and selecting one or more program increments from the sidebar.
- The Epic version can be accessed by navigating to the status reports page from a portfolio, solution, or program context, and selecting the name of a listed epic.
- Theme and Owner filters have been added to the Extra Configs menu.
- Labels for these filters, as well as the Tags filter, now display at the top of the page when active.
- Linked theme names on the page will now open the details panel for the selected theme.
- Epics and stand-alone features will display in the page based on both primary and additional program associations. In a future release, we’ll be adding an option to the Extra Configs menu to filter only work items with a primary program association.
- Ranking of items on the page now respects the choices made in the new navigation top navigation bar and sidebar:
- Portfolio / solution / program ranking is used when viewing a portfolio / solution / program with no program increments (PIs), or more than one PI, selected in the sidebar. This ranking is also used when switching off the Use program increment date(s) option at the top of the page and filtering by custom dates.
- Portfolio PI / solution PI / program PI ranking is used when viewing a portfolio / solution / program with one PI selected in the sidebar.
- Status has been set as the default view when entering the page.
- In Financials view, we’ve removed duplicate totals rows at the bottom of grids.
- The Company row that displayed organization structure names at the top of portfolio-based and program-based status reports has been removed.
Quality module: Confirmed and upcoming object removals
In version 10.121.3, we removed the summary pages within the Quality module, while references to some objects remained. In this release, we’ve cleaned up the codebase and removed all references and links to test sets.
In version 10.127.1, we plan to fully remove references and links to test plans.
The list of defect fixes will be updated to reflect changes in weekly maintenance releases. You can see the contents of individual maintenance releases in the Supplemental Release Notes section.
|JIRAALIGN-4496||Status Report: Rank present on it doesn't match the Backlog Rank||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-4786||E-mail notifications for Risk: Too many alerts being sent (on prem)||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-4910||Label is not synced from Jira to Jira Align if uses same text as associated Jira Fix Version||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5105||'Team goals' report fails to display Team name or Sprint when PI’s Schedule Type = "Independent Sprints"||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5119||Forecast - Expand PI throws timeout error||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5173||When performing a GET operation on an Objective, the createDate timestamp is always 00:00:00Z||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5254||New navigation - cannot filter Dependency Maps by portfolio, solution, or team.||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5285||New Navigation - "Strategy > View all strategic snapshots > Strategy Room" opens room with no sidebar||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5292||[New Navigation] Scrolling issues on backlog Kanban view||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5295||Filtering dependency at the team level doesn't work as expected||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5300||New Navigation - Portfolio Epics page PI filter set to "not equals" causes error||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5339||[New Navigation] Scrolling issues on Jira Management View||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5359||Search Feature/Epic modal window is not always using the new icons||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5400||New Navigation - Capabilities do not show in the Custom rooms roadmap||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5481||[New Navigation] Folio export PDF does not contain the expected work item data||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5863||REST API: PATCH to Update Feature Returns Error 400 Value for ownerId is invalid d||10.126.0|
|JIRAALIGN-5000||500 error - Blank page is displayed when clicked Add Action in Objective||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-5017||Unable to import themes if the number of programs exceeds 24||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-5188||New nav - Solution menu is showing for all users||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-5227||New Nav Custom Room -> Roadmap - Filter by Portfolio, Solution, Program, Team||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-5280||New Nav: Super Admin without Product permission can see Products and receive a login prompt||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-5281||New Nav: Product Room link not showing in side-menu if permission toggle is off (Rooms should be always on in new nav)||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-5965||Assigning a Jira custom field in Field management tab shows an error for any field I select in dropdown||10.126.1|
|JIRAALIGN-2729||Duplicate users are shown in team allocations, sprints, and organizational hierarchy||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4821||Portfolio Team: Users are being removed randomly||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4954||Roadmaps: Using Custom Hierarchy filter, Page Load Fails When Capabilities and Features Count is High||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4981||Epic Grid: Non-Super Admins receive an error when sorting by "Ext Id"||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4987||Epics are displayed twice in the live Roadmap||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4988||Fix Duplicate WSJF values||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4990||The Primary Program field in the Capability form doesn't relate to the Parent Epic field.||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4999||Responsibility Assignment Matrix approvals not working as expected||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5050||Deletion of External Links is not possible without system role permissions in the Portfolio layer||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5188||New nav - The solution menu is showing for all users||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5280||New Nav: Super Admin without Product permission can see Products and receive a login prompt||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5318||On-Prem: The help button hangs because of Internet restriction on 10.122.x above||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5399||Clicking on "Save" and then "Save and Close" too fast on Risk details panel resulting in unexpected behaviors||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5472||Program members list is limited to the first 150 entries||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5968||Epic Fixed Date Milestone Edit Popup does not Save Dates in JA||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5969||Mapping multiple field values to one in the new field management tab overwrites existing data with the default value||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-5985||Performance Issue Backlog page||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-6105||In Forecast screen when applying any type of Rank Capacity values get zero-ed||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-6116||Custom Room Grid Links Not Setting Navigation Context||10.126.2|
|JIRAALIGN-4989||Default values for Risk fields||10.126.3|
|JIRAALIGN-5056||When creating Program Dependency Audit log will refer to it as Team Dependency||10.126.3|
|JIRAALIGN-6061||Epics/Capabilities - When Additional Program are Added/Removed if other fields have been updated but not saved before the Program is added/removed the fields clear.||10.126.3|
|JIRAALIGN-6154||When "Estimation System" = T-Shirt and "Display Week Estimates In" = Team Weeks, then both values should be converted to Team Weeks in the Forecast page.||10.126.3|