In Jira Align, a program increment has a series of dates called synchronized dates or anchor sprints. These dates are used to provide milestones for coordinating across teams, for example, for negotiating a dependency.
Synchronized dates allow all teams to work on the same cadence. Once synchronized dates are in place, the actual sprints can be created for individual teams allowing all teams working in a program increment to deliver using the same schedule.
Create PI synchronized dates on the program increments page:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Programs in the top navigation bar and select the program containing the PI that you want to create synchronized dates for.
- On the sidebar, select More items in the list of options.
- Select Program increments; the program increments page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Program from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Program Increments; the program increments page displays.
To create PI synchronized dates:
- On the program increments page, select the necessary PI from the grid.
- Open the Sync Sprints tab.
- Select Mass Add to add a series of anchor sprints.
- In the Sprint Prefix box, type a short abbreviation to identify your anchor sprints later. It must be unique and can have up to three letters.
- In the First Date box, select the day when the first sprint should start.
- Select the sprint type, such as standard or innovation and planning (IP).
- Select the sprint duration, which can be from 5 week days to 25 week days. 5 week days is a one-week sprint.
- The Daily Max drop-down menu is used for capacity planning. Set the number of hours an individual on the team would be considered 100% allocated for non-defect burning activities.
- The Daily Defect drop-down menu is used for capacity planning. Set the number of hours an individual on the team would be considered 100% allocated for defects.
- From the Total Anchors drop-down menu, select how many anchor sprints to generate.
- Click Create Anchors.
- Click Save & Close. The next step is to push these sprints down to all teams (Generate sprints for all PI teams) or if you do not want to generate the sprints for all teams, you can generate the sprints individually by using the gear icon next to the anchor sprints you have just created.
Note: Innovation and Planning sprints will reflect in the same manner as standard sprints on Jira Align reports.