About this report
The Investment Report provides a breakdown of the features in a particular PI in terms of their Investment Category and Business Driver. A leader at the Program level (e.g., Release Train Engineer) can use this during the preparations for PI planning to ensure that the backlog prioritization activities are yielding a good mix for the upcoming PI.
- Select the Reports icon from the left Navigation menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- Features have been defined and targeted for a Program Increment.
- Features have been categorized (set the Category field in each feature in the PI).
- Features have identified a Business Driver (set the Business Driver field in each feature in the PI).
How are report values calculated?
The Investment Report displays the composition of features in the PI from two perspectives:
- Strategic Value = shows the number of features in each feature category set up for the instance (e.g. Customer Funded, Grow/Protect Base, Innovation, New Market/Product, R&D, Tech Investment, Technical Debt).
- Competitive Alignment = shows the number of features in each Business Driver set up for the instance (e.g. Competitive Leap Frog, Competitive Catch Up, Contractual, Activity/For Hire)
Note that these two fields can be configured to meet the specific categories and drivers in a particular enterprise.
How to interpret this report
The Investment Report provides a rough indicator of how the current backlog for a Program Increment breaks down across traditional investment types. It only presents the feature count (number of features) in each category, so it cannot be used as a true measure of the planned investment levels. When a leader at the Program level observes that investment levels across the categories are not aligning with expectations, they can engage the team driving the feature prioritization and work with them achieve a better mix.