A definition of done is a shared checklist of the valuable activities required to produce software at different phases. An explicit and concrete definition of done may not seem too important on the surface. With experience, agile practitioners learn that the definition of done is critical to success. Without a consistent understanding of done, velocity cannot be estimated, but with consistency, a better quality and predictability can be achieved. The definition of done is the glue for a solid process.
Create a definition of done checklist on the definition of done page:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Strategy, Portfolios, Solutions, Programs, or Teams in the top navigation bar and select the entity you want to create a definition of done checklist for.
- On the sidebar, select More pages in the list of options.
- Select Definition of done; the definition of done page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Enterprise, Portfolio, Solution, Program, or Team from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Transform section, select Definition of Done; the definition of done page displays.
Here, from the Work Item menu on the toolbar, you can navigate between definitions of done for different items, such as story, feature, epic, psi, program increment, and post release. Clicking any of those items takes you to the page where you can set your own definition of done. You can edit any of them by clicking the Edit Done button on the toolbar.