Capabilities are similar to features, but they describe higher-level solution behaviors than the features do. Capabilities fit within a single program increment to assure that incremental and measurable value is continuously delivered. They are also used by large organizations that break down epics to a more granular level.
To build the proper hierarchy, add a capability to an epic. However, capabilities can only be added to an epic that does not have a feature associated with it.
Create capabilities from any page with the Create button in the top navigation bar. Alternatively, use the epics page to create capabilities:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Portfolios in the top navigation bar and select the portfolio containing the program you want to create capabilities for.
- On the sidebar, select Epics in the list of page options; the epics page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Portfolio from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Epics; the epics page displays.
To create a capability:
- On the epics page, select the necessary epic.
- On the Epic slide-out panel, under Capabilities, add the capability’s name, type the estimate for the capability, select its state, and then click Add.
- Close the slide-out panel.
Note: Add at least two capabilities to each epic to create a proper hierarchy.