Capabilities are similar to features, but they describe higher-level solution behaviors than the features do. Capabilities fit within a single program increment to assure that incremental and measurable value is continuously delivered. They are also used by large organizations that break down epics to a more granular level.
To build the proper hierarchy, add a capability to an epic. However, capabilities can only be added to an epic that does not have a feature associated with it.
To create a capability:
- Select Portfolio from the left menu bar.
- Under the Manage section, select Epics; the Epics page displays.
- Select the necessary epic from the Epics Grid.
- On the Epic slide-out panel, under Capabilities, add the capability’s name, type the estimate for the capability, select its state, and then click Add.
- Close the slide-out panel.
Note: Add at least two capabilities to each epic to create a proper hierarchy.