About this report
The funding plan report provides a real-time financial view to a subset of the organization, to enable tracking against its allocated funding levels. The report displays the parts of the organization that are specified in a strategic snapshot, which is used to establish both the strategy and funding for the organization.
It offers leadership an opportunity to view progress in organizational terms, using the organization structure hierarchy, instead of the usual program-based view. This helps an enterprise align the organizational accountability and financial responsibilities specified in an org chart with the servant leadership roles in a scaled agile implementation.
The report shows funding and costs from one or more selected snapshots, down to portfolio, program, and PI allocations, so that you can effectively manage funding levels in context.
To access this report:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Portfolios in the top navigation bar and select the portfolio you want to view the report about.
- On the sidebar, select Reports in the list of options.
- Select Funding plan; the report displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select the Reports icon from the left Nav menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- A strategic snapshot has been created.
- Snapshot has been assigned funding in the Total Funding field.
- Organization structure(s) have been assigned to the snapshot.
- Funding levels have been allocated to the selected organization structure within the snapshot's Details panel.
- Program increment(s) have been assigned to the snapshot.
- To select a strategic snapshot in the Snapshot field, you must be a team member of the program associated with a PI assigned to the strategic snapshot.
- Associated program increment(s) have specified a cost-per-hour in the Blended Rate field of the program increment. Alternatively, if the portfolio uses costing centers, team members within associated programs must belong to a cost center that has a set rate. This is required to generate team and PI costs.
How are report values calculated?
Values displayed on the report include:
- Displays the sum of Total Funding fields from each snapshot’s details panel, for all snapshots selected in the Snapshot field at the top of the page.
- An organization structure row. Select to expand portfolios within it. Select the org structure’s name to open its details panel.
- A portfolio row. Select to expand programs within it. Select the portfolio’s name to open its details panel.
- A program row. Select to expand teams within it. Select the program’s name to open its details panel.
- A team row. Select the team’s name to open its details panel.
- Funding designated for the program for the specified PI above. This value is calculated based on the Program Allotment percentage entered for the program from the Programs, Products, and Regions tab inside of the related PI’s details panel. For example, if a PI has funding of $100 and the allotment for a program is set at 50%, the funding value for the program-PI combination will be $50.
- The PI cost for the team. This is the sum of all team cost per sprint values for the team from all completed sprints within the PI. If no sprints have been completed in the PI, no value will be displayed
- The sum of all PI costs from team rows within the program, for the PI.
- The sum of all program funding values from the program’s row.
- The sum of all team PI cost values from the team’s row.
- The sum of all PI costs from team rows within the program, for all PIs.
- The funding specified for a PI, from its PI Funding field. Select the value to open the PI’s details panel.
- The sum of all PI funding values for PIs in the portfolio row.
- The sum of all PI costs from all programs in the portfolio.
- The funding level specified for the organization structure, from the Funding Levels field inside its associated strategic snapshot. Select the value to open the strategic snapshot’s details panel.
- The sum of all PI funding values from all portfolios in the organization structure.
- The sum of all PI costs from all portfolios in the organization structure.
How to interpret this report
Senior leadership or those with fiduciary responsibility in the organization will use this report to manage the costs spent against the allocated funding levels.
Snapshots are often set up for a calendar year, so a typical usage is to use the funding plan report to track costs across the annual funding cycle. As program increments are established, they can be viewed in the context of the organization's funding for the year. As program increments are completed, the actual cost can be compared to the allocated funding.
This allows leadership to:
- Seek to add teams or work when the program and PI funding under the organization structure are not tracking toward the total snapshot funding.
- Actively manage the risk of cost overrun when program increments completed early in the snapshot's timeframe are consistently running over the allocated funding levels.
- Monitor the cost within the program increments as sprints are completed.