About this report
The Program Increment Scope report captures features that have been added and/or removed during a PI. It provides a snapshot of features that were in scope at the beginning of a PI, and allows you to track all changes and view the current features in scope. This report also shows how estimates may have changed on stories and features during the PI. The chart is especially useful for Portfolio Managers and Release Train Engineers to understand scope changes during a PI. The chart can be filtered by PI and program.
The report consists of three main sections:
- The first section is a line graph that shows how scope changed with respect to story points and/or team weeks. The Y axis shows a count of total story points and/or team weeks for the PI. The X axis displays date markers in the selected PI.
- The next section shows a roll-up of scope change statistics for the PI, based on fluctuating estimates.
- The last section is a detailed list of features, categorized by when they were added/removed to/from the PI.
- PI must exist in the system and must be tied to a program.
- Features must be created and tied to the PI.
- Stories, with point values, must be created and tied to features.
- Point estimates must be added to stories; estimates must be added to features, based on estimation methodology configured in the Administration module.
- Estimation method must be defined and configured in the Administration module, using the estimation settings.
How are report values calculated?
- The sum of all story points for the PI is pulled from the Story page/Story panel.
- The sum of all team weeks for the PI is pulled from the estimation placed on features via the Feature page/Feature panel, using the conversion specified in the Estimation Conversion settings of the Administration module.
- All Starting points/team weeks = sum of all story points/team weeks for the PI present before the PI start date.
- Team Weeks/Points Added in Features = sum of all story points/team weeks for the PI added between the start and end date.
- Team Weeks/Points Removed in Features = sum of all story points/team weeks for the PI removed between the start and end date.
Note: Story points/team weeks for deleted items are not included in this calculation.
- Total Team Weeks/Points Delivered = sum of all accepted story points/team weeks for the PI present at the PI end date.
List of Features
- Team Weeks = team weeks entered for the feature, pulled from the Feature page/Feature panel.
- Points = story points entered for the feature, pulled from the Feature page/Feature panel.
- Priority = priority of the feature, pulled from the Feature page/Feature panel.
- Date Added = the date the feature was added to the PI
- State = the state of the feature, pulled from the Feature page/Feature panel.
How to interpret this report
Ideally, all scope should be added at the start of a PI. A slightly upward trend on the line graph or statistics is normal. However, a downward trend shows that you over-committed work and had to remove story points from the PI. RTEs should evaluate the trade-offs that were made during the PI to help with accurately scoping PI work in the future.