About this report
The story points ratio report provides an overview of team performance, relative to the total, including committed and percentage accepted of all story points across a user-definable scope of 3, 5 or 10 sprints.
The report gets its name from displaying a line graph showing committed story points and accepted story points for each sprint, as well as the ratio of points accepted vs committed. The graph is especially useful for Team Members, Product Owners, and Scrum Masters to understand how consistently the team is estimating and delivering against their sprint commitments as a function of story point delivery over time.
Users may select a time window of 3, 5 or 10 sprints, to be displayed on the chart from the Extra Configs menu, found in the upper-right corner of the page.
Threshold percentages are highlighted by the Orange, Yellow and Green horizontal lines, reflecting Jira Align Administrator selected thresholds at 60% (Orange), 75% (Yellow) and 90% (Green), of points accepted vs committed.
Hovering over points on the graph will display the associated values for a sprint.
To navigate to this report:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Teams in the top navigation bar and select the team you want to view information about.
- On the sidebar, select Reports in the list of options.
- Select Story points ratio; the report displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select the Reports icon from the left Navigation menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- A Product must be defined in the system and be tied to a program.
- A sprinting Team must be selected with stories within the last 3, 5 or 10 sprints.
- Stories, with point values, must be created and assigned to features within the program.
How are report values calculated?
- Committed Story Points: Displays as a blue line, the sum of effort points from stories planned for the sprint, prior to the sprint's start date.
- Accepted Story Points: Displays as a black line, the sum of effort points from accepted stories planned for the sprint.
- Story Points Ratio: Displays as a green line, the percentage of effort points accepted compared to the total effort points committed to the sprint. This percentage is calculated as:
((Sum of effort points from accepted stories planned for the sprint) / (Sum of effort points from stories planned for the sprint, prior to the sprint’s start date)) * 100
How to interpret this report
Teams delivering with consistent velocity should have a story points ratio line that falls within the narrow band between the orange and green lines depicted on the graph above. Teams should strive to stay above the low threshold (orange Line) established by your organization (60% as depicted above). While overachievement can be viewed as a positive thing, staying just above or just below the green line is a best practice, as reserving capacity for quality, technical debt or other infrastructure-based activities should be a standard part of sprint planning.