About this report
The story completion ratio report provides an overview of team performance, relative to the total, committed and percentage complete for all stories, across a user-definable scope of 3, 5 or 10 sprints.
The report gets its name from displaying a line graph showing committed stories and completed stories for each sprint, as well the expected range for consistent delivery. The generated graph is especially useful for Team Members, Product Owners and Scrum Masters to understand how consistently the team is estimating and delivering against their sprint commitments over time.
Users may select a time window of 3, 5, or 10 sprints to be displayed on the chart's horizontal axis from the Extra Configs menu. The vertical axis displays the percentage of stories completed on the left-hand side of the chart. These percentages are displayed as decimal values only (e.g. 0.6 = 60%).
Another standard feature of the graph are red, yellow, and green lines, reflecting Jira Align Administrator selected thresholds at 60% (red), 75% (yellow) and 90% (green), by default. Jira Align Administrators can adjust these thresholds globally. Committed and Completed Stories (blue and black lines, respectively) will fall above or below the predefined thresholds.
Hovering over points on the graph will display flags that indicate the significance of each item.
To navigate to this report:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Teams in the top navigation bar and select the team you want to view information about.
- On the sidebar, select Reports in the list of options.
- Select Story completion ratio; the report displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select the Reports icon from the left Nav menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- A product must be defined in the system and be tied to a program.
- A sprinting team must be selected with stories within the last 3, 5, or 10 sprints.
- Stories, with point values, must be created and assigned to features within the program.
How are report values calculated?
- Committed Stories = Count of committed stories at the end of a sprint planning meeting or stories loaded into a sprint as of 11:59 PM on its first day if a planning meeting wasn’t run.
- Completed Stories = Count of stories accepted by the end of the sprint.
- Story Points = Percent of stories completed.
How to interpret this report
Teams delivering with consistent velocity should have committed and completed story lines that fall within the narrow band between the orange and green lines depicted on the graph above. Teams should strive to stay above the low threshold (red or orange line) established by your organization (60% as depicted above). While over-achievement can be viewed as a positive thing, staying below the green line is a best practice as reserving capacity for quality, technical debt or other infrastructure-based activities should be a standard part of sprint planning.