About this report
The Defects by Story report displays all stories for a selected sprint within a PI and a count of the defects associated with each story. The counts include the number of open and closed defects categorized by severity level.
This report can be used by Scrum Masters, team and QA managers, and QA/development staff to track defects during a sprint. It is beneficial to review the report with team members during daily standup and sprint review meetings.
- Select the Reports icon from the left Navigation menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- PI must exist in the system and be tied to a program.
- Sprints must be created and tied to a PI.
- Teams must be created and tied to a program.
- Stories must be created and tied to a sprint.
- Defects must be created and tied to stories.
How are report values calculated?
- Story names are pulled from the Story Grid/New Story panel.
- Defect counts (sums), states (open, closed), and severity (critical, high, medium, low) are all pulled from the Defects Grid/New Defect panel; unassigned defects are listed at the top of the table.
How to interpret this report
This report is a quick way to appraise the quality of the product mid-sprint. Generally speaking, defects found mid-sprint should be rectified as soon as found, or at least by the close of the sprint. Ideally, this should result in a low number of open defects for all stories, with most or all defects being closed. Critical defects are the most severe and should be remedied first. It is usual for a few low-priority, cosmetic defects to remain open at the end of a sprint, as long as all of the critical and high defects have been resolved.
Join the Atlassian Community!
The Atlassian Community is a unique, highly collaborative space where customers and Atlassians come together. Ask questions and get answers, start discussions, and collaborate with thousands of other Jira Align customers. Visit the Jira Align Community Collection today.
Need to contact Jira Align Support? Please open a support request.