About this report
The Epic Progress by State/Step report is a series of pie charts showing rollups (accumulations) of statuses for epics and stand-alone features. The left two charts show percentage of work items by status, and the right two show percentage by step. The chart is especially useful for portfolio managers and release train engineers for predicting when epic and stand-alone feature work will be completed; they provide a high-level understanding of whether the work for a PI is on track. You can filter the report by PI, program, release vehicle, theme group, and Scrum Masters/product owners.
Use the Extra Configs at the top of the report to filter by a certain product owner or scrum master. You can also exclude stand-alone features from the feature charts, or only display stand-alone features on the feature charts using the Extra Configs.
- Select the Reports icon from the left Navigation menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- PI must exist in the system and be tied to a program.
- Epics must be created and tied to a program and PI.
- Features must be created and tied to the PI and parent epic.
How are report values calculated?
The following counts are displayed for all epics and stand-alone features in the selected PI:
- Epic State counts are pulled from the State field of the Epics Grid/New Epic panel; states can be Not Started, In Progress, or Accepted.
- Epic Process Step counts are pulled from the Process Step field of the Epics Grid/New Epic panel; process steps are defined in the Value Stream module.
- Stand-Alone Feature State counts are pulled from the State field of the Features Grid/New Feature panel; states can be Pending Approval, Ready to Start, In Progress, Dev Complete, Test Complete, or Accepted.
- Stand-Alone Feature Process Step counts are pulled from the Process Step field of the Features Grid/New Feature panel; process steps are defined in the Value Stream module.
How to interpret this report
Watch for too many In Progress or Not Started work items in the top charts. Use the charts on the right to understand, at a detailed level, what steps in the Value Stream are causing bottlenecks/roadblocks to completing your goals.