About this report
The Capacity Planning report details the team capacity throughout the sprint, and is especially helpful to Scrum Masters as they determine whether the overall goal of the sprint can be achieved with the available team members. It is useful to review the Capacity Planning report during sprint planning and throughout the sprint to assure team commitments can be achieved with available capacity.
The report contains several charts and graphs, outlined below:
- Points Planned shows the planned effort for the selected sprint in story points.
- Points Accepted in Previous Completed Sprints details the number of accepted story points the team completed during the previous 5 sprints.
- Average Velocity Last 5 Sprints displays the average of story points accepted over the previous 5 sprints.
- Sprint Task Load shows a bar chart with a roll-up of team capacity, allocation of hours dedicated to capacity reducing activities, adjusted capacity, task hours loaded for sprint, and actual hours spent on tasks.
- Available Team Capacity displays the hours a team is over or under allocated.
- Task Hours Planned shows all task hours associated to stories planned in the selected sprint.
- Task Hours Remaining shows the task hours remaining that are in a done status for the selected sprint.
- Allocated Members shows a count of team members available to work in sprint.
- Bottom section of the report displays a breakdown per team member with allocation percentages, available capacity in hours, assigned tasks, actual hours to complete tasks, remaining tasks in hours, and remaining capacity.
- Select the Reports icon from the left Navigation menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- PI must exist in the system and be tied to a program.
- Features must be created and tied to the PI.
- Stories, with point values, must be created and tied to features.
- Stories must be assigned to sprints.
- Sprints must be created and tied to the PI.
- Tasks must be created and assigned to stories.
- Teams must be created and tied to a program.
How are report values calculated?
- Points Planned = total story points loaded into a sprint.
- Points Accepted in Previous Completed Sprints = total story points by sprint accepted by Product Owner for each of the past 5 sprints.
- Average Velocity Last 5 Sprints = total of story points accepted by Product Owner for past 5 sprints averaged over past 5 sprints.
- Sprint Task Load
- Total Team Allocation = total capacity hours available for team.
- Planning / Estimation = total hours allocated for estimation, sprint planning, sprint review and sprint retrospective meetings. These activities are reduced from total team capacity.
- Defect Allocation = total hours allocated for defect remediation. These activities are reduced from total team capacity.
- Defect Actuals = total of actual hours spent for defect remediation. These activities are reduced from total team capacity.
- Discipline Allocation = total hours allocated for discipline allocation (i.e. - internal support). These activities are reduced from total team capacity.
- Discipline Actuals = total of actual hours spent for discipline allocation (i.e. - internal support). These activities are reduced from total team capacity.
- Task Allocation = total capacity available after reducing allocations for planning/estimation, defect allocation, and discipline allocation.
- Task Hours Planned = total task hours assigned to stories committed in sprint.
- Task Hours Spent = total actual hours spent working on tasks during sprint.
- Available Team Capacity = the team total of capacity hours less the loaded task hours for stories committed in sprint. More capacity than loaded hours will result in under allocation and more loaded hours then capacity hours will result in over allocation.
- Task Hours Planned = cumulative total of all task hours of stories planned in sprint.
- Task Hours Remaining = total tasks hours left to be completed in sprint.
- Allocated Members = total of all team members with an allocation of greater than 0 in sprint.
- Allocated = percentage of time available to work in the current sprint.
- Member Allocation = total available time multiplied by allocation.
- Hours Planned = total task hours assigned.
- Hours Spent = total hours spent working on task.
- Hours Remaining = time remaining for task completion.
- Remaining Allocation = a total of hours left in the sprint and daily capacity.
How to interpret this report
The report should be used to determine if the team is set up for success going into a sprint. It tells the story of the sprint, such as: Can we deliver upon our commitments? Is the work distributed equally within the team? Are we progressing as planned or is work taking more/less time than estimated?