A success criterion is a measurable strategic target that helps to drive the direction and work of the project. You can view the project's progress and update it over a certain period. Success criteria are used to measure value. For example, you can decide to measure NPS (net promoter score) in US dollars and plan to increase the score from 4 (initial metric) to 11 (target metric) over a certain time (start and target dates).
Create success criteria from any page with the Create button in the top navigation bar. Alternatively, use the success criteria page to create success criteria:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Portfolios in the top navigation bar and select the portfolio you want to create success criteria for.
- On the sidebar, select More items in the list of options.
- Select Success criteria, the success criteria page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Portfolio from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Success Criteria; the success criteria page displays.
To create a success criterion:
- On the success criteria page, select the Add Success Criterion button on the toolbar (top-right of the page).
- Type the criterion's title, problem statement, and the success criterion itself.
- From the Program Increment drop-down menu, select the program increment to which the success criterion belongs.
- Select the start and end dates for this success criterion.
- Decide on the metric used to measure your success criterion, and then select the metric unit from the corresponding drop-down menu.
- Set the initial and target metric in the corresponding boxes.
- From the Metric Measure drop-down menu, select the period by which you want to track your progress.
- From the Type drop-down menu, select the type of the success criterion.
- Select the program and its related epic, which influences the success criterion, and then click Save.
After saving the success criterion, you can view a graph on the right side of the page. The graph shows the estimate and the progress of the success criterion across weeks, months, or quarters, depending on what you select in the Metric Measure drop-down menu.
To update your progress:
- Click the Update Progress button under the graph.
- Set the metric value according to the progress achieved in a certain period.
- Click Update.
You can configure custom fields on success criteria to better suit your needs and establish a more comprehensive work process. You can control what fields are required and what fields to display in slide-out panels. Admins may access Details Panels Settings to configure default and custom fields.