About this report
The Program Increment Status report displays statistics on the overall progress of a selected PI via a dashboard at the top of the page, and lists associated work items (features and epics), skill sets, and teams on the lower section of the report. The report also allows for the creation and sending of estimation requests if more time is needed to work on a specific epic or feature. This report is useful for RTEs that may want to clean up a PI and view relevant PI data.
View the dashboard statistics at the top of the page to make sure the PI is on track.
Below the dashboard, notice the list of epics and features tied to the target PI. The names of the work items are linked, so you can click to open an item's Details panel. To the right of each work item are the following columns:
- Owner: the owner of the work item
- Estimate: the estimated time for completion, converted to team weeks
- Cycle Time: the amount of days an estimate request is in progress
- Manage Estimate: used by the estimate provider; click this link to open the Manage Distributed Estimates modal window. Use this window to provide a new work estimate, along with risks, assumptions, and issues for the work item.
- Set Estimate: used by the estimate requester; click this link to open the Manage Distributed Estimates modal window. Use this window to look at all returned estimates, along with risks, assumptions, and issues, and approve a final estimate for the work item.
To send a request for estimates on a work item, follow these steps:
- Select the checkbox to the left of one or more work items, and then click the Request Estimates button directly above the work item list; the Send Estimate Requests modal window displays.
- Select a Program, and then select the Role that will receive the request; for example, epic owners.
- Click the Add button, and then select the email addresses of the intended recipients.
- Add Comments describing the nature of the estimate request, and click the Send button. Recipients will receive an email notifying them of the estimate request; they can navigate to the Program Increment Status report page and use the Manage Estimate link to provide an estimate.
Below the list of work items is a list of Skill Groups and Skills tied to the PI. Progress bars to the right show how many days of work have been completed for that skill. For example, 5 days of documentation/technical writer skills may have been requested for a sprint within the target PI. This data is pulled from the Time/Skills tab of the Epics grid/panel.
Below the list of Skill Groups is a list of various teams currently assigned to the PI.
- Select the Reports icon from the left Navigation menu.
- Start typing the report's name in the Search box.
- Once found, select the report.
Note: You can also use the categories on the left to search for the needed reports.
- Program Increment (PI) must exist in the system and be tied to a program.
- Epics must be created and tied to the PI.
- Features must be created and tied to the epics.
- Teams must be allocated to sprints in the PI.
- Stories must exist in the system and be tied to features.
- Stories must have assigned effort points.
- Tasks must be created and tied to stories.
- Task hours must be logged by the teams.
How are report values calculated?
- Time Remaining = team weeks complete / total team weeks.
- Project Score = (PI Scores / Maximum Score)*100. PI Scores is the sum of the current PI scores (Cost, Profit Potential, Time to Market, and Development Risks) which are set on the Projects/Alignment Scoring tab for this PI. Maximum Score is the sum of all maximum possible value for these scores (Cost, Profit Potential, Time to Market, and Development Risks).
- Risk Score = sum of all epic ((Financial Risk / Maximum Risk Score)*100)/Epic Count. Financial Risk is the financial risk value (on the basis of Business Impact, Risk Appetite, IT Risk, Failure Impact, and Failure Probability on the epic's Spend tab) which is set to the formula by sprint for every epic that is associated with the current PI. Maximum Risk Score is the sum of all maximum possible value for these financial risks. Epic Count is the sum of all epics which are associated with the current PI.
- Value for the Dollar = Stories Value / Stories Efforts. Stories Value is the sum of all LOV of the stories which are associated with the current PI. Stories Efforts is the sum of all LOE of the stories which are associated with the current PI.
- Funding Status = percentage of epics funded; pulled from Funding Stage field of Benefits tab of the Epic's grid/panel.
- Open Risks = sum of open risks tied to the PI.
- PI Status = status assigned to the PI; pulled from the Status field on the General tab of the Program Increment grid/panel.
- PI Health = health status assigned to the PI; pulled from the Health field on the General tab of the Program Increment grid/panel.
- Budget Allocated = budget assigned to the PI; pulled from the Budget field on the General tab of the Program Increment grid/panel.
- Total Spend So Far = sum of expenses reported to associated cost centers.
- Blocked Features = sum of features tied to the PI marked as blocked; pulled from the Blocked field on the Details panel of the Features grid/panel.
How to interpret this report
RTEs should use this report to clean up a PI and view relevant PI data. Pay close attention to the dashboard statistics at the top of the page to make sure the PI is on track. From the list of epics and features tied to the target PI, request and set estimates for the work items. Use the lists on the lower section of the report to make sure the proper teams and skill groups are assigned to the PI.