A community of practice is a group of people who share a profession and/or common interests in a subject area. The goal of the group is to share and gain knowledge related to a specific field.
In Jira Align, the Communities of Practice page allows you to post links to articles, resources, and events for consumption by the community. Please note that the Communities of Practice page is only accessible internally, by other Jira Align users.
Only Super Admins can create, edit, and delete communities of practice. Super Admins will see all communities of practice. Regular users will see a list of communities of practice their Community of Practice teams are assigned to.
To access the Communities of Practice page, select Collaborate > Communities of Practice from the Navigation menu.
To add a community of practice:
- Click Add Community of Practice on the toolbar; the Add New Community of Practice dialog box displays.
- Enter the title of the community of practice.
- Optionally, from the Team Assignment drop-down menu, select one or more teams this community of practice is associated with. All team members from the selected team will have access to this particular community of practice.
- Click Save, and then close the dialog box.
The community of practice’s page is divided into three panels:
- Articles: links to articles posted on external web sites.
- Resources: links to resources/tools/services posted on external web sites.
- Events: a listing of communities of practice teams, and links to events posted on external web sites.
Across the top of the panels is a horizontal space where a featured article/resource/event and image can be displayed.
Users access content by clicking on a target link.
To follow this page and get notifications of new content postings, click the Follow button on the top-right of the page.
Posting a New Article, Resource, or Event
To add new content to the page:
- Click the Add New Content button on the toolbar.
- In the Content Title field, enter a name for the content, which will display as a link on the main page.
- In the Content Link field, add the full URL to the content.
- In the Content Text field, enter a description or short summary of the content.
- In the Content Type field, select a radio button for Article, Resource, or Event; this determines which panel the link will display in.
- In the Feature Article field, select Standard or Featured; standard content links display in a list in the corresponding panel on the main page, and a featured article will have a prominent position on the top of the page.
- Click the Save Content button; the content link is posted to the appropriate panel on the Communities of Practice page.