A backlog is a prioritized list of work for the development team that is derived from the roadmap and its requirements. The most important items are shown at the top of the backlog so the team knows what to deliver first. The development team pulls work from the backlog as there is capacity for it.
You can manage and prioritize defects in the defect backlog. Click a title of a defect to open a slide-out panel with more information about that work item.
Note: To view the defect backlog, select a program as your scope. If you're using the old navigation, do not select a portfolio from the Configuration bar.
The following controls and progress indicators display at the top of each backlog section:
- Avg Team Velocity: The average number of effort story points accepted by the team during the last five sprints. For Kanban teams, this value displays as Throughput, which displays the average number of stories delivered and accepted by the team each week. Click this value to open the team’s Details panel, focused on the Sprints tab. There, you can see more details about average and per-sprint velocities.
- Export: Click this button to export the displayed work items and details into a .csv file.
The following values display on all defects listed on the page, regardless of selections made in the Columns Shown menu:
- ID: The unique ID number of the defect.
- Name: The name of the defect.
- Labels: Select one of the buttons to display different information labels on the right of each defect row. You may select one of the options:
- Parent: The parent of the defect.
- Schedule: The sprint the defect will be delivered in.
- Tags: Tags that are used to make it easier to find a defect.
The Columns Shown option offers to select which columns to display, providing some level of customization. Columns Shown controls what columns are displayed for two different scenarios:
- Main View: Displays up to 5 columns on the backlog page in List View.
- Small View: Displays up to 2 columns when the Unassigned Backlog slide-out is opened in List View.
For the defect backlog, you can choose to view such columns as Age, Chat, Assigned To, Detected By, Fixed By, Priority, Status, State, Sprint, and Category. You can find out more about these columns in the Manage Defects with the Defects Grid topic.
Additionally, you can select custom fields that you have created for defects in Details Panels Settings. Only fields that are set as Active in Details Panels Settings are available for selection as columns in the backlog.
With the available filtering options, you can filter defects by fixed by, assigned to, title, priority, status, state, and category.
Right-click menu options
For faster navigation in the backlog, right-click a defect to do the following:
- Open in new tab. Open the work item in the full-page view in a new tab.
- Move To Next Sprint. Move the work item to the top of the next program increment/sprint. The new program increment/sprint is assigned to the work item. This option is grayed out if there is no upcoming program increment/sprint.
- Move To Unassigned Backlog. Move the work item to the top of the unassigned backlog within the selected team/group.
- Move To Top. Move the work item to the top of the list the work item is contained in.
- Move To Bottom. Move the work item to the bottom of the list the work item is contained in.
- Move To Position. Select the place to move the work item to. It is useful when you have a long list and dragging the work item is not convenient.
- Convert To Story. Convert a defect to a story.