A build is a version of a software program, where source code is compiled and converted into executable objects. Builds are pre-release versions of the software and are identified by a build number, rather than by a release number. Builds are an important part of the development process, helping to ensure a stable final product.
In Jira Align, builds are specified for several work items and processes in the QA cycle, for example:
- Identifying a build where a defect was found
- Identifying a build where a fixed defect was verified
- Identifying a build that is tied to specific test plans
To create a new build, follow these steps:
- From the Navigation menu, select Team > Quality > Builds; the Builds page displays.
- Click the Add Builds button on the top-right of the page; the New Build panel displays.
- Enter a name (or number) for the build in the Build Name field.
- Enter a label, such as a tag, in the Build Label field.
- Enter the date the build was created in the Build Date field.
- Select the stream (a collection of builds with a specific purpose) this build belongs to from the Stream drop-down menu.
- Enter a path to the build in the Location field.
- Select a status for the build, such as failed or success, in the Status field.
- Click Save & Close; the build displays in the Builds grid.
From the More Actions menu on the top-right of the page, you can also run the Build Report and access the Build Streams grid.