In Jira Align, you can use the links functionality to sequence work items. It is used to create a link from one theme, epic, capability, feature, or story to another one to define that the work item cannot be started before the other one is finished. Additionally, you can create link maps to visualize the items related to each other on the timeline with respective dates and milestones. The link map shows the relationships between the items that have the predecessors and successors for the item.
To create a link map:
- Select Program from the left menu bar.
- Under the Track section of the menu bar, select Link Maps; the Link Maps page displays.
- On the toolbar (top-right of the page), click the Add Link Map button.
- Type the map name and description, and then click Save.
- Select the work item type from the corresponding drop-down menu, and then select the specific work item and the color of the row the item will be shown in.
- Click Add. Next, add as many work items as you need.
- To view the link map, click the map icon next to the necessary map in the grid.
The main item is highlighted in blue in its row on the map. The related stories appear in the sprints they are assigned to. The related themes, epics, capabilities, and features appear in the sprints based on the following rules:
- For predecessors, if all child stories are assigned to sprints, the theme, epic, capability, or feature appears in the last sprint the stories are assigned to.
- For successors, if all child stories are assigned to sprints, the theme, epic, capability, or feature appears in the first sprint the stories are assigned to.
- Back to Link Map Grid: quickly return to the link map grid.
- Configure Map: edit the map by configuring what work items to display. You can also access your map by clicking the blue plus icon in the bottom-left corner of the map.
- Filter View: toggle the work item type you do or do not want to see on your map.
- View Predecessor: view the predecessor work items.
- View Successor: view the successor work items.
- View Status: view the dev and QA progress on stories.