Capability maps organize capabilities into a visual presentation, in the form of a grid, to help capture functionality, plan releases, groom the backlog, and identify a journey. Capability mapping helps Agile teams understand customers and problems by ordering capabilities along X and Y axes; the axes can represent priority, complexity, states, or stages, or any other aspect of a capability's life cycle.
Creating a Capability Map
Follow these steps to create a capability map:
- Select Solution > Track > Capability Maps from the left menu bar (or search for Capability Maps) to access the Capability Maps page.
- Click the Add Capability Map button on the top-right of the page. The New Capability Map panel displays.
- Enter a map name and a map description in the appropriate fields, and then click Save; additional fields for creating rows and columns populate the panel.
- The columns will form the X axis of the capability map grid. Enter a name, order number (starting with 1, not skipping numbers; displayed from left to right), and color for the first column. Click the Add button and repeat this step as many times as needed to create desired columns and order.
- The rows will form the Y axis of the story map grid. Enter a name, order number (starting with 1, not skipping numbers; displayed from top to bottom), and color for the first row. Click the Add button and repeat this step as many times as needed to create desired rows and order.
- Click Save; a View Capability Map link displays next to map description.
- Click the View Capability Map link; the capability map columns and rows display in a visual grid.
Proceed to the next section to learn how to add capabilities to the capability map.
Adding Capabilities to a Capability Map
Follow these steps to add capabilities to the capability map:
- Using the column headings as the X axis and the row headings as the Y axis, click in a grid cell where you want to add a capability (or capabilities). A blue + icon displays in the lower-right corner of the cell.
Click the + icon and select either New or Existing: New opens the New Capability panel, where you can create and save a new capability, which will be added to the cell in the form of a card) upon saving; Existing opens the Bulk Add Capabilities panel, where you can filter to find existing capabilities, which will be added to the cell (in the form of a card) upon saving. One or more capabilities can be added to each cell in the grid. Repeat as many times as needed to add capabilities to the grid in the desired cells.
- Drag and drop feature cards to move them to a different cell in the grid.
- Click any card to open the Capability slide-out panel, where you can edit and save capability parameters.
- Use any of the filters, located at the top-right of the page, to highlight capabilities by specific criteria.
- To delete a capability card, hover over the card until a red X icon displays in the top-right corner of the card; click the X icon to delete.
- To add additional columns or rows to the grid, click the blue + icon located at the end of the column/row headings. You can also click the Configure Map button to edit/add columns or rows in the grid.
Group Capabilities into Epics
To group capabilities into an epic, follow these steps:
- Click the Group into Epic button at the top-right of the page; the page is now in Select mode.
- Select the capabilities you want to group into an epic by clicking on the desired cards; the selected cards are highlighted.
- Click the Create Epic button at the top-right of the page; the Add New Epic From Capability Map window displays.
- Enter the name, description, program, and PI for the Epic, and then click Save; the New Epic panel slides out to display the newly created Epic.