About this report
The Investment by Theme report shows how the portfolio allocates budget and effort to implement business strategy, via themes. Themes are long-term initiatives that set an organization apart from the competition; resources are allocated to themes as determined by the assigned budget.
This report, which is beneficial to Portfolio Managers and executives, is generated by selecting a target PI.
Click the Manage Investments button on the top-right of the page to access the Theme Planning View panel, where you can set the percent of the total PI investment for each theme. The number of themes that are in progress also display in this panel, along with the total percentage of budget allocation.
- PI must exist in the system and must be tied to a program.
- Themes must exist in the system and be tied to a program, PI, and strategic initiative.
- Features must be created and tied to the PI and assigned team weeks.
How are report values calculated?
- Themes that are in progress are pulled from the Themes grid/New Theme panel for the selected PI.
- The Portfolio Plan chart pulls budget percentages from the Theme Planning View panel, which is accessed by clicking the Manage Investments button.
- The Effort Distribution (Team Weeks) chart pulls effort allocations from the sum of all team weeks for features tied to the theme via epics; team week estimation is placed on features via the Feature page/Feature panel, using the conversion specified in the Monte Carlo Simulation setting of the Administration module.
- The bottom portion of the report contains a list of the in-progress themes with corresponding progress bars that show how many team weeks have been completed. To the right of the progress bars, a count of competed epics and stand-alone features for each theme is listed.
How to interpret this report
Review in-progress themes as part of the overall financial and effort budgets, making sure important initiatives get the attention and financial backing they deserve. Remember, each theme represents a key value proposition meant to set an organization apart from the competition and adhere to business strategy, so set allocations that will allow your organization to achieve its long-term business goals.