You can allocate a buffer to a team to adjust the capacity of that team, prior to running a forecast for a PI. This is a useful feature for automatically removing capacity when non-work events such as training, education, conferences, collaboration activities, holidays, and more require a team to reduce their availability for an upcoming PI. This prevents known events from causing a team or program to be overloaded.
Note: The Plan Capacity settings panel, where buffers are set, is only available on the Forecast page if the portfolio’s estimation system is configured to use T-Shirt size or Team/Member Weeks. This button and its settings panel will not be visible if points are set as the estimation system.
To set a buffer:
- Navigate to the forecast page.
- In the upper-right corner of the page, click Plan Capacity.
- Select the PI and one or more programs from the corresponding drop-down menus.
- Scroll down to the Buffer Management section.
- Enter a name in the Buffer Name field.
- Enter the number of member weeks or team weeks that will be removed from capacity in the Buffer field.
- Select the team for the buffer, from the Team dropdown.
- Click the plus icon.
The buffer displays at the bottom of the Buffer Management section and is accounted for in the Total Buffer column of the Plan Capacity settings panel.