The Quick Add visualization builder allows you to dynamically create a visual map, representing a work hierarchy. The hierarchy consists of work item nodes, such as themes, epics, and features, with parent and child relationships. When finished, you can save it for future editing or push the hierarchy work items directly into Jira Align.
Accessing Quick Add
To access Quick Add, follow these steps:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Strategy in the top navigation bar and select the strategic snapshot you want to create a work hierarchy for.
- On the sidebar, select More items in the list of options.
- Select Mind maps; the mind maps page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Click the blue Create button at the top-right of any page; a drop-down list displays.
- Select the Quick Add option at the bottom of the list.
- Select Enterprise > Manage > Mind Maps from the Navigation menu.
Creating a Quick Add visualization
The starting Quick Add page allows for one of three actions:
- Start New Hierarchy - allows you to select a name for the new hierarchy, and then opens a new hierarchy map containing one root node that represents the hierarchy, itself. You are now ready to add your first work item node.
- Start From Existing Work Item - allows you to name the hierarchy and then search for an existing work item, such as an epic or feature, and use it as the first work item node (parent) in your new hierarchy. All existing child work items for the parent node will also be pulled into the map. For example, if a theme is selected, then all epics, capabilities (if enabled), features, and stories that roll up to that theme are rendered as nodes in the visualization.
- Open Existing Hierarchy - this option is available on the top-right of the workspace; displays a list of saved/existing hierarchies that can be selected for editing.
A menu of shortcut key is available at the top-left of the workspace when building/editing your visualization.
Note the following shortcuts:
- tab to create a child
- enter to create an object at the current level
- arrow keys to navigate through the objects
- backspace to edit the current object
- alt + left to hide all children
- alt + right to show all hidden children
- ctrl (for Windows) or command (for Mac) + z to undo your last action
To add nodes, follow these steps:
- Hover over the parent node (or other visible node if using an existing hierarchy) to select it; the selected node turns blue. Double click the ellipses to the right of a node to open a menu containing the following options:
Add New Child - Creates a new child node of the current node.
Hide / Expand Children - Displays or hides the children of the current node.
Edit - Enables editing mode to change the name of the selected node; or click the name and type new text to change the name of the node.
View Details - Opens the object details slide-in panel when a node is an existing work item within Jira Align; requires previous sync action (covered below) for the hierarchy.
Delete - Deletes the current node.
- Select Add New Child or use the <tab> shortcut key, then enter a name for the new node.
- Repeat as needed to build your hierarchy.
- Each node represents a work item with the name.
- Parent nodes are expandable and collapsible.
- A map typically is built with 5 or 6 levels of hierarchy, including the hierarchy (root) node: Hierarchy name, theme, epic, capability (if turned on), feature, and story.
Saving your hierarchy
To save your hierarchy, click the Save Hierarchy button on the top-right of the workspace. Two save options are available:
- Save as New Hierarchy - equivalent to a "save as" action; allows you to save a new instance of the hierarchy with a new name, without impacting the current hierarchy in the workspace.
- Save as Current Hierarchy - equivalent to a standard "save" action; saves the hierarchy as the current instance.
Syncing your hierarchy
Sync your hierarchy to create work items in Jira Align represented by the nodes you created in your map visualization.
- Click the Sync button at the top-right of the workspace. The Sync Work Hierarchy window displays.
- In the first field, select the highest level of work item represented in your hierarchy (excluding the root/hierarchy name node); that is, what type of work item is represented by the parent node? For example, select Theme if your visualization represents a standard map of themes, epics, features, and stories--in this case, theme is the highest level of work item.
- In the next field, select the program you want to assign the work items to in the backlog.
- Click Sync. A completion message displays when the sync is successful and the work items are created in Jira Align.
- When working with an existing hierarchy that has already been synced, re-syncing adds ONLY THE NEWLY CREATED children/parents. The only data synced from existing work items is a change in its name.