A backlog is a prioritized list of work for the development team that is derived from the roadmap and its requirements. The most important items are shown at the top of the backlog so the team knows what to deliver first. The development team pulls work from the backlog as there is capacity for it.
You can manage and prioritize the capabilities in the capability backlog. Click a title of a capability to open a slide-out panel with more information about that work item. If the capability contains child features, you can also click the expand arrow next to the capability name to manage and prioritize the features within the capability.
- Estimate. The options for estimating capabilities are WSJF, T-shirt size, points, and team weeks. You need to set up the estimation method, which is described in the Configure Estimation Settings section.
- Pull rank. You can use an epic or solution rank to sort capabilities. This option is available only if you have a program and a PI, or a solution and a PI, selected on the Configuration bar. Otherwise, to prioritize your capabilities, you can drag them to the necessary position. The ranking is disabled if filtering is on.
- Story points. A total sum of story points belonging to the capability.
- Rank. This is the rank of a work item in the PI selected. If no PI is selected, this is the overall rank of the work item for the program or portfolio selected.
- State. A state of a capability’s development.
- ID. A unique ID for a capability.
- Name. A name of a capability.
- Toggle views:
- Program. The program the capability belongs to.
- Schedule. The sprint the capability will be delivered in.
- Parent. The parent epic of the capability.
- Tags. Tags that are used to make it easier to find a capability.
The Columns Shown option offers to select which columns to display, providing some level of customization.
For the Capability Backlog, you can choose to view such columns as Strategic Driver, Dependency, Acceptance Criteria, Age, Blocked, Capitalized, Chat, Child Count, Customers, Investment type, MVP, Owner, Points (an estimate set for a capability), Process Step, Story Point Progress, Story Points (sum of LOE on stories associated with a capability), T-Shirt size, Value, Weeks, and WSJF. You can find out more about these columns in the Manage Capabilities topic.
Additionally, you can select custom fields that you have created for capabilities in Details Panels Settings. Only fields that are set as Active in Details Panels Settings are available for selection as columns in the backlog.
With the available filtering options, you can filter capabilities by state, T-Shirt, theme, title, state, process step, type, value, capitalized, blocked, owner, and MVP.
In the backlog, you can quickly add a new capability just above the list of all capabilities.
To add a capability:
- In the New Capability Name box, type the title for the capability.
- Select the parent for the capability.
- Click Add. The capability is automatically prioritized at the bottom of the list and is assigned to a program, team, program increment, or sprint based on where it was added from.
Moreover, you can add child features to a capability. Go to a capability you want to add a feature to, type the feature's name, select its parent, and then click Add.
Right-click menu options
For faster navigation in the backlog, right-click a capability to do the following:
- Open in new tab. Open the work item in the full-page view in a new tab.
- Move To Top. Move the work item to the top of the list the work item is contained in.
- Move To Bottom. Move the work item to the bottom of the list the work item is contained in.
- Move To Position. Select the place to move the work item to. It is useful when you have a long list and dragging the work item is not convenient.
- Move To Program Increment. Move the work item to a certain program increment or an unassigned backlog.
- Move To Recycle Bin. Move the work item to the recycle bin if you no longer need it.
- Move To Parking Lot. Move the work item to the parking lot to reserve it for later.
Parking lot is used to reserve capabilities that have some issues or unanswered questions to come back to them later. You can find the parking lot at the bottom of the capability list.