The portfolio escalations page provides a list of escalations created for a specific PI. Escalations are work items that can be used to solicit a decision from the program or portfolio teams. Escalation examples include urgent customer support requests or portfolio-level decisions needed on epic priorities. When escalations are created and tied to a sprint, all team members tied to the sprint receive a notification to work on a resolution.
Escalations can be used to foster communication and transparency between program-level and portfolio-level stakeholders, to make sure guidance is provided and the escalations are ultimately resolved.
A large volume of open escalations means action is required promptly, or a sprint/PI may be in jeopardy.
Create escalations on the escalations page:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Portfolios in the top navigation bar and select the portfolio you want to create an escalation for.
- On the sidebar, select More items in the list of options.
- Select Escalations; the escalations page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Portfolio from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Escalations; the escalations page displays.
To create an escalation:
- On the escalations page, select the Add an Escalation button in the upper-right of the page to open the New Escalation panel.
- Enter the name of the escalation in the Title field.
- Enter a description of the escalation in the Description field.
- Select the escalation state and type.
- Tie the escalation to a PI, program, and sprint using the Program Increment, Program, and Sprint fields, respectively.
- Click Save. Additional fields appear.
- Select a target date to resolve the escalation.
- If needed for the risk management and issue resolution, tie the escalation to dependencies, impediments, or risks using the corresponding boxes.
- Open the Members tab to add stakeholders.
- From the Team Members drop-down menu, select the necessary stakeholders to foster communication and transparency.
- Click Save & Close.
To resolve an escalation:
Note: You can resolve an escalation only after its creation.
- In the Portfolio Escalations grid, click the Take Action link in the Status column.
Note: You can view the Take Action link only if you are tied to the sprint the escalation is associated with.
- In the Guidance box, type a resolution to the escalation or terminate a sprint which is also considered a resolution.
- Click Submit.
- Click the Resolved link in the Status column of the resolved escalation.
- Click in the Resolution Date box and add the date when the escalation is resolved.
Note: You can view the escalation resolution and the name of the person who resolved it on the Escalation details slide-out panel.