A test case is a technical testing specification that defines how the system should perform. Using test cases, a QA engineer determines if the application works as intended.
Important: To see and modify test cases, an administrator needs to turn on the respective option for a role under Administration > Roles.
To add a test case:
- Select Team from the left menu bar.
- Under the Quality section of the menu bar, select Test Cases.
- On the toolbar (top-right of the page), click the Add Test Cases button.
- On the New Test Case slide-out panel, type the title and description of the test case.
- Select the type, priority, method, and risk for the test case.
- Select the program and program increment to which the test case belongs.
- From the Tied to drop-down menu, select if a test case covers a story or an acceptance criteria:
- If you selected a story, start typing the ID or name of the story in the Find Story box to search for it.
- If you selected an acceptance criteria, start typing the ID or name of the acceptance criteria in the Find Acceptance Criteria box to search for it.
- Select the test area of the test case, the team, and owner of the test case.
- Set the estimate for the test case, and then click Save.
To set the steps of the test case:
- On the Test Case slide-out panel, click the Steps tab.
- Type the pre-conditions to be fulfilled before executing the test case.
- Type the input and the expected result of the test case, and then click Add.
- Type the post-conditions and add attachments for the test case, and then click Save & Close.
Note: To add more steps, click the cog icon, and then click Duplicate. Here, you can also move the step to a certain position.
Join the Atlassian Community!
The Atlassian Community is a unique, highly collaborative space where customers and Atlassians come together. Ask questions and get answers, start discussions, and collaborate with thousands of other Jira Align customers. Visit the Jira Align Community Collection today.
Need to contact Jira Align Support? Please open a support request.