Prioritization is the practice of using the Weighted Shortest Job First (WSJF) formula to identify what work is most important to work on in your next program increment. A capability can have a unique WSJF value for each PI it is planned for.
You can prioritize a single capability from its Details panel, as well as prioritize multiple capabilities from the capability prioritization page.
Prioritize a capability from its Details panel
To calculate WSJF and prioritize a capability, open its Details panel. You can do this by selecting a capability's hyperlinked name from many pages, including Capabilities, Capability Backlog, and various reports.
From the main tab of the capability's Details panel:
- For the PI you want to set WSJF for, select the value to the right of the [PI name] WSFJ Prioritization field. A new window displays.
- Beginning with the Set Business Value tab, select a value in the dropdown menu to the right of the capability's name.
- Select the next tab to the right, Set Time Value, and enter a value in the dropdown.
- Repeat step 3 for the Set RR/OE Value and Set Job Size tabs.
- Select the View Calculations tab to understand how your entries have generated a WSJF score.
- If desired, set the global rank of the capability based on the WSJF score by selecting the Apply rank to Global Ranking button.
- Select the X in the upper-right corner to close the WSFJ window.
- Your WSJF score is now visible next to the [PI name] WSFJ Prioritization field.
Prioritize multiple capabilities from the capability prioritization page
To prioritize multiple capabilities, first navigate to the capabilities page:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Solutions in the top navigation bar and select the solution you want to view capabilities for.
- On the sidebar, select Capabilities in the list of page options; the capabilities page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Solution from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Capabilities; the capabilities page displays.
Next, navigate to the capability prioritization page and select your view and filters:
- On the capabilities page, select Prioritization from the More Actions menu at the top of the page; the Capability Prioritization page displays.
- Use the Program Increment dropdown to select which PI you are setting a WSJF score for.
- Use the Program dropdown to narrow the list of capabilities displayed by program assignment.
- To set additional filters, select the plus, +, icon to the right of the Program dropdown.
- Select values in the Business Value, Time Value, RR/OE Value, and Job Size dropdowns.
- The WSJF Score column will update once values in step 7 are entered.
- If desired, select Yes or No in the MVP dropdown to indicate if the capability is a minimum viable product.
- Select the Manage Backlog button in the upper-right corner to navigate to the Backlog page.
Note: To access the capability prioritization page, you must have the Team > Manage > Estimation permission enabled for your system role.