Prioritization is the practice of using the Weighted Shortest Job First (WSJF) formula to identify what work is most important to work on in your next program increment. A capability can have a unique WSJF value for each PI it is planned for.
You can prioritize a single capability from its Details panel, as well as prioritize multiple capabilities from the Capability Prioritization page.
Prioritize a capability from its Details panel
To calculate WSJF and prioritize a capability, open its Details panel. You can do this by selecting a capability's hyperlinked name from many pages, including Capabilities, Capability Backlog, and various reports.
From the main tab of the capability's Details panel:
For the PI you want to set WSJF for, select the value to the right of the [PI name] WSFJ Prioritization field. A new window displays.
Beginning with the Set Business Value tab, select a value in the dropdown menu to the right of the capability's name.
- Select the next tab to the right, Set Time Value, and enter a value in the dropdown.
- Repeat step 3 for the Set RR/OE Value and Set Job Size tabs.
- Select the View Calculations tab to understand how your entries have generated a WSJF score.
- If desired, set the global rank of the capability based on the WSJF score by selecting the Apply rank to Global Ranking button.
- Select the X in the upper-right corner to close the WSFJ window.
- Your WSJF score is now visible next to the [PI name] WSFJ Prioritization field.
Prioritize multiple capabilities from the Capability Prioritization page
To prioritize multiple capabilities, first navigate to the Capability Prioritization page and select your view and filters:
- Select Solution from the left menu bar.
- Under the Manage section of the menu bar, select Capabilities; the Capabilities page displays.
- From the More Actions menu at the top of the page, select Prioritization; the Capability Prioritization page displays.
- Use the Program Increment dropdown to select which PI you are setting a WSJF score for.
- Use the Program dropdown to narrow the list of capabilities displayed by program assignment.
- To set additional filters, select the plus, +, icon to the right of the Program dropdown.
- Select values in the Business Value, Time Value, RR/OE Value, and Job Size dropdowns.
- The WSJF Score column will update once values in step 7 are entered.
- If desired, select Yes or No in the MVP dropdown to indicate if the capability is a minimum viable product.
- Select the Manage Backlog button in the upper-right corner to navigate to the Backlog page.
Note: To access the Capability Prioritization page, you must have the Team > Manage > Estimation permission enabled for your system role.
Join the Atlassian Community!
The Atlassian Community is a unique, highly collaborative space where customers and Atlassians come together. Ask questions and get answers, start discussions, and collaborate with thousands of other Jira Align customers. Visit the Jira Align Community Collection today.
Need to contact Jira Align Support? Please open a support request.