Prioritization is the practice of using the Weighted Shortest Job First (WSJF) formula to identify what work is most important to work on in your next program increment.
You can prioritize a single feature from its Details panel, as well as prioritize multiple features from the feature prioritization page.
Prioritize a feature from its Details panel
To calculate WSJF and prioritize a feature, open its Details panel. You can do this by selecting a feature's hyperlinked name from many pages, including Features, Feature Backlog, and various reports.
From the main tab of the feature's Details panel:
- Select the value to the right of the WSFJ Prioritization field. A new window displays.
- Beginning with the Set Business Value tab, select a value in the dropdown menu to the right of the feature's name.
- Select the next tab to the right, Set Time Value, and enter a value in the dropdown.
- Repeat step 3 for the Set RR/OE Value and Set Job Size tabs.
- Select the View Calculations tab to understand how your entries have generated a WSJF score.
- If desired, set the global rank of the feature based on the WSJF score by selecting the Apply rank to Global Ranking button.
- Select the X in the upper-right corner to close the WSFJ window.
- Your WSJF score is now visible next to the WSFJ Prioritization field.
Prioritize multiple features from the feature prioritization page
To prioritize multiple features, first navigate to the features page:
If you’re using the new navigation:
- Select Programs in the top navigation bar and select the program you want to view features for.
- Select Features in the list of options; the features page displays.
If you’re using the old navigation:
- Select Program from the left Nav menu.
- Under the Manage section, select Features; the features page displays.
Next, navigate to the feature prioritization page and select your view and filters:
- On the features page, select Prioritization from the More Actions menu at the top of the page; the Feature Prioritization page displays.
- Use the Program Increment dropdown to display features planned within the PI you are setting WSJF scores for.
- Use the Program dropdown to narrow the list of features displayed by program assignment.
- To set additional filters, select the plus, +, icon to the right of the Program dropdown.
- Select values in the Business Value, Time Value, RR/OE Value, and Job Size dropdowns.
- The WSJF Score column will update once values in step 7 are entered.
- If desired, select Yes or No in the MMF dropdown to indicate if the feature is a minimum marketable feature.
- Select the Manage Backlog button in the upper-right corner to navigate to the backlog page.
Note: To access the Feature Prioritization page, you must have the Team > Manage > Estimation permission enabled for your system role.