The options for estimating epics are WSJF, T-shirt size, points, and team weeks. You need to set up the estimation method, which is described in the Configure Estimation Settings section.
To estimate an epic:
- Select Portfolio from the left menu bar.
- Under the Portfolio section of the menu bar, select Epics; the Epics page displays.
- From the More Actions menu on the toolbar (top-right of the page), select Estimation.
- The Epic Estimation (and stand-alone features) page displays. Here, you can estimate epics and filter them by several options, including PI, program, release vehicle, backlog type, theme group, theme, text/tags, product, and process step.
- From the Program Increment drop-down menu, select the necessary PI or Unassigned Backlog.
- Set the estimate for each epic in the following way:
- If your estimation is configured for T-shirt size, points, or team weeks, select the estimate for each epic directly from the list.
- If your estimation is configured for WSJF:
- Click the WSJF icon next to an epic.
- Set Business Value, Time Value, RR/OE Value, and Job Size for each epic.
- Click View Calculations and Save, and then click Apply rank to Global Ranking (note that rank is applied to global rank only).
WSJF board estimation
To estimate WSJF values for epics, you can use a board view. You can estimate each attribute of WSJF independently, while viewing other epics on the board. Setting a value is simple as dragging and dropping.
To estimate epics using this method:
- Select the Column View button from the top-right corner of the Epic Estimation page.
- A board displays. Epics without WSJF estimates display as cards in Epics column on the left.
- Use the Business Value, Time Value, RR/OE Value, and Job Size buttons above the board to change what WSJF attribute you’re setting. A new board displays for each attribute.
- For each WSJF attribute, drag an epic card to a column to set the value.
- Select the WSJF Score Preview button to see WSJF totals for epics that have been estimated. An epic must have values set for all WSJF attributes to display a score.
- Select the List View button to return to the standard estimation view. Your scores from the board view will be displayed and can be edited further.
Note: For more information on WSJF, see the Estimation Methods Overview article. You can set the WSJF estimate along with the estimate in another system, if your administrator turns on the Use WSJF With Other Estimation Techniques option under Administration > Settings > Platform > Portfolio.