The Atlassian Jira Align team is pleased to announce Jira Align v.10.114.
Enhancements and Features
These features for 10.114 were released to environments on the continuous release track on November 18, 2022, in version 10.114.0. The features will then be released to environments on the bundled release track on December 2, 2022, in version 10.114.2:
.NET 6 now required for on-premise instances
As previously announced, Microsoft will soon be ending support for .NET 3.1, which is required to install an on-premise instance of Jira Align. Please upgrade your environments to version .NET 6, no later than December 7, 2022, to ensure your infrastructure can support Jira Align version 10.114.2 and beyond.
Jira connector: Bidirectional t-shirt sync
We’ve added the ability to sync t-shirt size estimates bidirectionally between Jira Software and Jira Align. This change provides more options and consistency with other mapped Jira fields. Previously, t-shirt estimates only synced in one direction, from Jira Align to Jira.
To enable bidirectional sync, change the Sync direction dropdown found at Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup > T-Shirt from Jira Align to Jira sync to Bidirectional sync. Before doing so, please review the warning and example about unintentional overwrites at the bottom of this section. Bidirectional sync will be the default setting for any newly-created Jira connectors. Existing connectors will continue using the Jira Align to Jira sync direction until manually changed.
A third option for sync direction, Jira to Jira Align sync, is coming soon.
We’ve also added the ability to map Jira Align’s No estimate value for t-shirt estimates with a custom Jira value.
You have two options for using this mapping:
- If you would like blank values in Jira to represent an unestimated t-shirt size, leave the mapping for the No estimate size blank in the settings window.
- If you would like to use a value such as “not estimated”, etc, for representing unestimated items, you may enter that value for the No Estimate size in the settings window.
- Note that when you map a Jira custom value to the No estimate Jira Align value, blank entries in the Jira field will be ignored during sync, to prevent your Jira Align value from being changed.
Important! If you’re enabling bidirectional t-shirt sync for the first time, you must take care to avoid an accidental overwrite that could occur when Jira data is synced to Jira Align. This situation may be rare, but it could occur if Jira t-shirt size estimates have been set as blank, and the corresponding Jira Align features have not been updated. Consider this example:
▾ Example of unintentional t-shirt overwrites (click to expand)
- Jira Align is configured to use t-shirt size estimates through the Admin > Platform > Portfolio > Estimation System global setting, or the portfolio is set through the Admin > Platform > Portfolio > Portfolio Specific Configuration > Estimation System setting.
- A custom field has been created in Jira to represent t-shirt sizes, and has been set as the field to sync with Jira Align at Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup > T-Shirt.
- Inside the t-shirt size setup dialog found at Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup > T-Shirt > Configure, the No Estimate row has a blank entry under the Jira Value field.
- Jira Align contains features with t-shirt size estimates.
- Prior to enabling bidirectional sync, one or more epics in Jira are updated with a blank value for t-shirt size. Because the connector only synced this field from Jira Align to Jira before bidirectional was an option, the matching features in Jira Align retain their original t-shirt estimates. This mismatch could occur for various reasons:
- Features are initially created in Jira Align and given a t-shirt estimate. All additional edits are made in Jira.
- Users who knew of the one-way sync direction had a reason to clear the t-shirt estimate in Jira, opting to use another Jira field to represent a different or team-specific estimate.
- An admin changes the Jira connector setting found at Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup > T-Shirt > Sync direction from Jira Align to Jira sync to Bidirectional sync.
- No changes are made to existing features in Jira Align, so no syncs are performed.
- A user updates an epic inside of Jira — they might change a title, description, etc.
- The update is detected and begins a sync to Jira Align.
- The mapping dialog in Jira Align’s connector settings intakes the blank value from the Jira epic, and sets the corresponding feature’s t-shirt estimate to No estimate, overwriting the original value.
To prevent this type of overwrite from occurring, you can perform one of the following actions prior to enabling bidirectional sync:
- Force a sync from Jira Align to Jira, which will write the existing t-shirt estimate from a Jira Align feature to a Jira epic.
- You can do this by making a small edit on a Jira Align feature.
- If you have many features in Jira Align that need to push t-shirt estimates to Jira, consider using a round-trip export and import.
- Export data from existing Jira Align features with t-shirt estimates and import those estimates into the matching Jira epics.
- Manually update t-shirt estimates for Jira epics that don’t match with Jira Align features.
Jira connector: Restricted Process Step and State fields when synced with Jira’s Done status
As part of resolving a reported defect, JIRAALIGN-3705, we’ve made a change to available selections in the State and Process Step fields for features and stories that are synced with Jira. When a synced Jira Align work item is updated with a state or process step value that is mapped to Jira’s Done status, you will only be able to select different values that are also mapped to Jira’s Done status. This is because the Jira connector can't remove the resolution of a Jira issue. To remove a Jira resolution, change the status inside Jira.
Jira connector: Changes to Default User settings
To help administrators avoid potential issues such as typos when entering a value, the Default User field found at Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup has been changed from a text field to a dropdown. You can search inside the field to locate the account you want to use as the default user. Additionally, to prevent sync issues, the field is now required.
Jira connector: Enforcing 1:1 mapping between Jira and Jira Align sprints
To prevent sprint mapping issues, we’ve removed the ability to manually map multiple Jira sprints to a single Jira Align sprint on the Admin > Jira Management > Jira Sprints settings page. Jira Align sprints that are already mapped to a Jira sprint will not be selectable and will display an error message.
Jira connector: Renamed settings and options
We’ve made some updates to the names and tooltips inside Jira connector settings to help administrators better understand the behavior of each setting:
Settings found at Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup
|Old setting name
|New setting name
Timer on Jira Boards
Timer for Jira boards, sprints, and fix versions
Sprint Buffer Days
Jira sprint mapping buffer days
Timer on Jira Issues
Timer for Jira issues
Timer on continuous push to Jira
Timer for continuous push to Jira
Email address list to use for alerts
Send alerts if Jira Align cannot connect to API
Issue Type Epic Name & ID
Feature issue type
Issue Type Story Name & ID
Story issue type
Issue Type Sub-Task Name & ID
Task issue type
Issue Type Defect Name & ID
Defect issue type
Settings found in the Team-managed project settings tab (Admin > Jira Settings > Manage Projects > [Name of project])
|Old setting name
|New setting name
Story and feature points custom field
Parent work item custom field on features
Parent Feature Name
Capability parent custom field
Program increment custom field
T-Shirt custom field
Why? details custom field
Acceptance criteria custom field
Feature 'portfolio ask' date custom field
Feature 'Portfolio Ask' date field
Feature 'start / initiation' date custom field
Feature 'Start / Initiation' date field
Feature 'target completion' date custom field
Feature 'Target Completion' date field
Sync dropdowns (Admin > Jira Settings > Jira Setup)
We’ve also changed the values found in dropdowns that control sync direction to be more clear. Instead of Yes and No, administrators can select either Bidirectional sync or Jira to Jira Align sync for the following settings:
- Permission to Edit Initiative Name
- Permission to Edit Epic Name
- Enable Epic Sync
- Enable Feature Sync
- Enable Story Sync
- Enable Defect Sync
- Enable Task Sync
- Enable Epic State Sync
- Enable Feature State Sync
- Enable Story State Sync
- Enable Defect State Sync
- Allow Jira Align to create Jira issue web links
Administrators can select either Bidirectional sync or Not synced for these settings:
- Allow release vehicles to sync with Jira Fix Versions
- Enable Rank Sync
API 2.0 support for the DELETE method
We’ve added API 2.0 support for the DELETE method for the following items:
Objectives tree (new experience): Status counts
We’ve added status counts to the four quick-filter status cards displayed at the top of the new objectives tree experience.
These counts show the total number of objectives or milestones with a specific status. The counts are tied to the selections made in the Configuration bar and page-level filters.
The list of defect fixes will be updated to reflect changes in weekly maintenance releases. You can see the contents of individual maintenance releases in the Supplemental Release Notes section.
|Backlog: Push/Pull rank to external system doesn't work for kanban teams
|An "Internal Server Error" message is displayed when creating a Dependency from the Epic Details panel
|Strategic Backlog: Epic is duplicated for each distinct T-Shirt estimate
|Ideation: New User and Password Reset emails aren't getting sent
|Jira stories state changes to accepted not being displayed on audit logs
|Owner Column does not show up in Feature Backlog List View
|Objective Filtering Clears After Saving
|Program Board: Objective is Red when everything is fine
|Process step changes do not sync to Jira when moving out of a "Done" status
|Team States(Sprint States) report is cut off
|Import work items produces 500 error - potential performance error
|Objective: description longer than 2k chars will display the error banner but save the content
|Setting a Single PI on the Configuration Bar of a Program Board fails to show a Red Status for a Feature
|Jira Align is incorrectly saving Capability Links into tblAgileLinks with ObjectType = 1
|Ranking ideas on the Manage Enhancement Requests page is not sticking its prioritized order after page is refreshed
|Backlog view: Process Step Column Name no Longer Available in Columns Shown for Features Backlog View
|Setting Committed By date to the same date as Needed By date doesn't move the dependency to committed automatically
|Product filter is not applied to Burndown charts
|Team Dependency Map: Sprint/Date field shows 'NONE' as a value in the REQUESTED column
|Program Board: Dependencies in the Program Board showing the wrong color (RED) with no planning issue
|Program Board: Committed by Column displays Sprint Prefix from PI that has no relation to Dependency (Kanban teams)
|Objective Tree: Column "Target Completion" is not showing after being selected
|Objective Tree: "Target Completion" sometimes appears duplicated
|Objective Tree (new): Long titles are not being wrapped up correctly
|Making a change causes objective level filtering to be lost
|API: Feature Hypothesis and Prototype field length doesn't match the UI
|Internal Server Error on Loading Administration-Activity Page
|Updating a Theme's name or description creates two entries in tblAgileThemeAudit while only generating one Audit Log entry
|Forecast: 'Total Team Capacity' displays under the wrong team
|Feature: Product Objectives field is not appearing after assigning product
|RPM_GET_MILESTONE_LIST function datatype limitation is being reached
|API: Feature Hypothesis and Prototype field length doesn't match the UI
|Program room - Widget action + Allow item creation when permission to add is off